Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[WIP] Abandoned Asylum

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
Mahelix polycounter lvl 6
Hello there !
Some time ago, I decided to try making some 3D environments.
For my first attempt, I want to make something like in this picture of an abandoned asylum, using UE4 :

I already got the top-down design sketched on a scrapbook, and most of the modular walls are modeled.
Here's the scene so far with the assets I made

I even managed to create some procedural texture for the walls using Substance Designer, with exposed parameters that I can modify on the fly directly in UE4 :

Among other things, the possibility to change the color

And the damages on the wall

I have started assembling the walls together but I have a problem with the lighting :
Even with a blank material, each wall get a different shade, resulting in a seam in between

Any idea on how I could fix that issue ? I think this has something to do with the lightmapping, but my knowledge in this domain is quite limited
Thanks ! ;)

Replies

• CeriseAsCherry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CeriseAsCherry polycounter lvl 2
    Hey! The textured wall looks great but maybe the plaster noise is a bit big though. And for your issue it's due to the baking of lights I think. You can try to tweak the parameters in the world settings tab like the level scale lighting (don't remember the proper name) and increase the indirect lighting quality. It could arrange a bit this problem but I don't think you can completly get rid of it that way...

Instead I would recommand you to do your room with bigger walls to avoid the issue. (It is also the answer that had provides Epic during a live they did about lighting ;) )

You can also have a modular assets that works in "collaboration" with the wall (like a beam or a door frame, something hiding the lighting seam) if you truly want to have modular assets. ;)
  • shabba
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shabba polycounter lvl 15
    I might consider fleshing out your blockout more, getting some interior camera angles set up with the FOV you are looking for, and defining the elements on the image you like in block geo. Focusing on scale and interesting layout, and considering the story you want to tell within it. 

Then maybe you can shift gears and go back to the materials once you are happy with the overall blockin. The bones are super important, so I'd really consider iterating on a rough blockin first.
  • Mahelix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the feedback !
    As you suggested, I decided to setup a camera with the angle I wish to have, make a more thorough blocking of the scene, and worry about the lighting/texturing in due time :p

As for the plaster effect on the wall material, I will add another exposed parameter that will allow me to change its intensity depending on how it looks in UE4 ;)
  • DaveW
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DaveW polycounter lvl 14
    Regarding the lighting issue, there are some lightmass setting tweak you can use to hide most of it.

There's a good topic on it here.

• Mahelix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @DaveW Thanks for the link, this is gonna be helpful :)

I am in the middle of modeling the props but I have a question regarding the textures : Should I start texturing the props as soon as I finish modeling them, or should I wait for all of my props to be modeled to texture them afterwards ?
  • DaveW
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DaveW polycounter lvl 14
    Mahelix said:
    @DaveW Thanks for the link, this is gonna be helpful :)

I am in the middle of modeling the props but I have a question regarding the textures : Should I start texturing the props as soon as I finish modeling them, or should I wait for all of my props to be modeled to texture them afterwards ?
    Depends on what workflow suits you, which is gonna come from experience of doing full scenes.

Personally I would create dummy versions of all the props to get your scene composition right, and also so you know exactly what models / textures you need. That will help you decide where you can share texture sheets, use modular pieces, etc. Other people can just start texturing parts and build the models around them, but (again, personally) I lack the planning ability / creative thinking for that. Experience plays a major part in that, too.

• Mahelix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Update on the scene :

I finished modeling and placing the rough mid-poly models (doors, doorframes, windows, etc.) to get an idea of the proportions and how things look so far. I also placed the unfinished plaster texture and UE4's stock wooden floor to see if it helped getting a better feel for the composition of the scene.
    I am now going to work on making the low-poly models and give them proper UVs and Lightmaps.

At this point, should I already start working on the lighting, or should it be for later toward the end ?

• Mahelix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    After a couple busy weeks, I finally got the time to create the substance material for the wooden floor, and I re-used the wall material to create the ceiling material.

Same than for the wall, I made half a dozen different instances for the ceiling, putting some variations between the holes, the cracks and the grungy moss

Applying the textures to the scene. Once again some tiles get darker than the other (but the wooden planks don't seem to have that issue ??), I guess it will be fixed once I start putting some proper lighting. Hopefully.

Now onto the next step : texturing the props
  • eCstatic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eCstatic polycounter lvl 14
    You're off to a good start. From an architectural technologist viewpoint, your doors need to be taller and wider. Your beams look to be a bit too thick as well.
  • Mahelix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Finished texturing every prop, now I assume the next step would be to take care of the lighting, right ? Does anyone have any tip as to how I should start my lighting process ? Right now I have just wrapped the whole architecture with a LightMassImportanceVolume, based on what I saw in one of Unreal's demo scenes.

@eCstatic thanks for the feedback ! :p For the doors I took the dimensions of my doors as reference (90cm wide and 195cm tall), now I don't know what are the dimensions commonly used in games so yeah they might be a bit too small. As for the beam, I just looked at the reference image where they are quite thick indeed (I guess they are steel beams covered in wooden plates ??? I might need some more references for that).
  • shabba
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shabba polycounter lvl 15
    - when adding lived in/aged/weathering details, always consider where those types of details form in real life, and what caused them to form.
    For example: the patches of exposed wall under the blue paint - kind of just hap hazardly placed - maybe the ones lower could hav ebeen caused by furniture being moved or or some guy losing his shit and throwing something, but the one at the top isnt really supported by any details, maybe a crack in the ceiling showing foundation settling and structural elements that have shifted or sunk, creating a minor crack that leads to the bigger patch of damage, or some water damage that has worked its way under the surface from the floor above, maybe from a leaking bathtub, but you'd need to tell that story on the ceiling as well.
    - I guess what im trying to say, is link these details together, and create a cohesive 'picture' that the viewer can link the elements and allow their own mind to tell that story. When details are placed all over, and just tiled around... it doesnt have the same effect as if it was carefully thought out, and intentional.

- also think of another floor material or something else to cut up that gigantic amount of wood floor.
    - I'd echo the scale notes from @eCstatic

Keep going!
  • Mahelix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the feedback ! For the damages, would it be a better idea to replace most of the procedural holes by decals then ?
  • Mahelix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Been spending the whole day turning the wall material into a decal using substance designer, but when exporting the sbsar file I have a little problem with the opacity map. In SD the map seems perfectly black and white, but in UE4, the white part of the mask appears to be not-so-white, resulting in the decal being much darker than wanted because it will blend with the wall's color. How can I fix that ?

I could edit it in photoshop but then I would be unable to modify the decals' shape on the fly by using the exposed parameters or I would have to re-edit the opacity map every time

Opacity map in Substance Designer

The basecolor map in UE4, with visible transparency despite the opacity map seeming totally black and white

The decal being much darker than intended

• wirrexx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wirrexx ngon master
    reverse it in Blueprint and see if that is the issue (decal is projection away from wall)
  • Mahelix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    What do you mean by reversing it in Blueprint ? I turned it into a BP but I don't see anything that matches

• Mahelix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    After some struggling with UE4 (and the flu), I decided to export the Substance Designer outputs as bitmaps to make things easier. I also realised the opacity problem was due to a bad masking in SD, which now gives me a brighter decal (there might still be some slight transparency, but after roaming UE4's forums, it would seem that decals are meant to be this way).

The next step for me is to create more hole variations, grunge and water damage decals