Home Animation Showcase & Critiques

Showrel WIP

polycounter lvl 2
Offline / Send Message
Beleram polycounter lvl 2
Hi there :) doing a showreel project at uni. Here's a couple of the pieces I've done so far, more to come later. Just wondering what you guys think.

https://syncsketch.com/sketch/204415#284351

Replies

• AGoodFella
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AGoodFella polycounter lvl 5
    Says the review is private.
  • Beleram
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ok, I think I sorted it, thank you
  • AGoodFella
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AGoodFella polycounter lvl 5
    Yeah it works. Nice work, looks good. I've tried to identify some areas for improvement.

Head turn:

The eyes at f3 feel too isolated when they look in the other direction. Try to get a little more head movement and a tiny motion on the chest. The chest motion should barely be perceptible but more of a drift.

Think you could maybe go without the eye blink at f12 and just have the one during the head turn.

At f27, try leading with the eyes.

Depends on the style but I wouldn't drop the head as much at f32. If you want to keep that much of a drop, I would have more of a recovery and settle after.

Throughout the head turn, I think you could amp up the chest more.

On your last pose, I'm not sure but the neck feels a bit disjointed from the head. Like the head is at an angle. Not sure about this one.

Finger point:

Whole character is still until f7. Only the eyes move. You still want some ambient motion unless it's a very deliberate choice/style.

f7 - both arms start their motion. Offset them.

f11 - Have the forearm of the raising arm drag down. It can then go into its pose at f20. Try having a little more of a ease in at f20. Try throwing a few more frame sint here. See how it feels. Might not feel better but it might.

f21 - See if you can offset the had by 2 frames.

F24 - The body kind of hits a wall. See if you can add a little overshoot and settle.

Table hit:

At f14, see if you can lead with this hand pose more. So the chest is slightly cleaned back and then when the arm hits, there is a more room for an overshoot.

f14- There is a knee pop.

f15-17, feels like the hand slows too much here. If you want a big snap, have f15, where the forearm is flat against the table, f16, the hand could begin its motion and at f17, the hand is flat. 

There is an example in "The Animators Survival Kit" of this exact animation.

Hope you find these notes helpful, address whichever notes you like.
  • Beleram
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you so much for that. I'll work on them tonight

Yeah the neck feels a little off, should have toggle around with that, maybe more of an ease back

And i did go by the Animation Survival Kit example at first but it felt a bit too janky with the timing i was going for, but I'll it some more tweaking.

• Beleram
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Update on the showreel. Done all the exercises needed for the time being and there are some very much needed improvements upon them, such as the walk and the horse especially.

https://syncsketch.com/sketch/204415#290126