Home Contests & Challenges Archives Riot Creative Contest 2017 Riot Creative Contest 2017 - Character Art

[RIOT CREATIVE CONTEST 2017] Character Art - Voidsmith Ornn

polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
Thnk polycounter lvl 5
Glad to be throwing my hat in the ring this year.
I remembered seeing the Ornn character model on ArtStation by Daniel Orive and after digging into Ornn's lore I knew he was the one. 
Played around with a couple of ideas for the skin theme I decided on "Voidsmith" Ornn. 

Gist of the lore goes something like this:
- Ornn gets bored with crafting weapons from the same materials he's already mastered and goes looking for something new. 
- Finds a purple glowing ore vein deep in the caverns beneath Hearth-Home.
- Starts trying to mine the material when suddenly the ground begins to rumble all the stone around the purple ore shatters. 
- Reveals a void portal which sucks his favorite Hammer in. 
- He ain't bout to lose his favorite tool so he reaches in after it and gets sucked in too. 
- Spends what seems like years adapting and surviving in the Void while learning how to craft with the new elements he finds there.
- Eventually he learns how to craft a portal which sends him back to Hearth-Home. 

Links to Ornn High and Lowpoly by Daniel Orive 
https://www.artstation.com/artwork/2gzyA
https://www.artstation.com/artwork/Kw9EG

Replies

• jonjon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jonjon polycounter lvl 6
    Cool idea! And the ref you've gathered really seems like a good approach especially the Darksiders 2 stuff. Can't wait to see what you come up with :smile:
  • Thnk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thnk polycounter lvl 5
    Tonight's update: 
    Started blocking out my base mesh.
    Proportions still need some tweaking but its getting there. 

Don't mind the polypaint   :p
    Just got a little bored at one point and decided to have some fun with him while I work my way out of the ugly phase.

• Thnk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thnk polycounter lvl 5
    WIP 2 - Moar Basemesh

Forgot to mention i'm not much of a 2D guy so i'll be concept sculpting as I go. I have a general idea of where i'm headed but i'll be feeling out the details of the design in 3D. 

Tweaked the proportions to match the original a bit more. Also roughed in some facial landmarks and a quick approximation of the original horns to have as a point of reference for when I start designing my own.

• Bodhwell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bodhwell polycounter lvl 6
    I'm eager to see what kinds of voidy horn shapes you give him. That line of champions and skins have fun forms to play with.

Btw, I'm 100% with you on doing the concepting in 3D, haha.
  • Thnk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thnk polycounter lvl 5
    @Bodhwell Thanks man :)  Probably gonna be doing a few horn variations when the time comes. Kinda wanna play with working them into a voidy/alien skull mask type thing. We'll see what happens XD