Home Contests & Challenges Archives Riot Creative Contest 2017 Riot Creative Contest 2017 - Character Art

[RIOT CREATIVE CONTEST 2017] Star Guardian - Sona

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
Caramie polycounter lvl 8

Final Renders:

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Okay I'm in for this contest!

I missed my chances of entering the first Riot contest back then but now I really want to get this trough!
Any way I decided to go for an original skin.
Since I enjoyed playing Sona when I was still on the game and those new Star-Guardian skins looks so awesome, I decided to go for a Star-Guardian version of Sona. Her natural color will be really nice for this theme though.

Well so there my actual moodboard for now.

I already started a paper then digital sketch but I'll post them when fully done. ;)

Replies

• Caramie
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi,
    I was quite busy but I managed to get my first sketch done  ;)
    Since Sona's temper is quite and peaceful I think she needs an outfit with round and soft shapes. I imagine her being closer of Soraka's outfit because of their temper. I would also like to keep her green/blue base color scheme with white and some golden highlights.

Here's tthe very first and rough shape of her dress I put on paper

Then I pushed this further in Photoshop. I think I'm gonna try out some variations to see where this can go :smile:
    I added lines on her ribbons to recall music partitions but I'm not too fond of this finally  :/

Hope you'll enjoy and as always C&C are very welcome!  <3
  • DawnHeart
    Offline / Send Message
    DawnHeart polygon
    Looks really nice! Just dont make her blue (as that would look too much like her base) also the others for example dont share their base color on SG skin! I'm looking forward to your progress :D
  • yararstss
    Offline / Send Message
    yararstss polycounter lvl 6
    Loving it! Looking foward for the others variations *-*
  • GravityBwlast
    Offline / Send Message
    GravityBwlast interpolator
    Lovely sketch, it fits Sona perfectly!
  • Sfalkon
    Offline / Send Message
    Sfalkon polycounter lvl 8
    Wow, waiting for more progress
  • Caramie
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks you all for these kind comments :)

@DawnHeart I know this but I just can't figure her in Pink or Purple :/ But Il Intent go get her more a blue-ish green instead of her natural blue, a little like star Guardian Soraka's hair but when on color I may give other colors a try. Wich one would you want to see for her ?

Got so much things to do I barely had time to work this but I managed to get some variations. I don't think I gonna do more, or only some tiny changes to get this straight. 

Would love to get impressions of these, since I'm not totally decided.
    I'm thinking about mixing the second and third one. Like having first one's necklace, second one's chest ornament, back-bow and socks with the third one's dress and shoes.... But that's a first impression ;)
  • DawnHeart
    Offline / Send Message
    DawnHeart polygon
    As for the colors mhm kinda hard. Green-blue might not be that bad or maybe yellow? Idk blonde hair could suit her tho.
    As for the models I like 2 the most in general and the necklace of number 3 :D but I dont think you can do anything wrong you're doing gr8
  • gyllenhaal
    Offline / Send Message
    gyllenhaal polycounter lvl 3
    if you give her pink and gold it will look like her  sweetheart skin. purple or blue might work well on her
  • Caramie
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks ^^

I'm not a big fan of her sweethart color scheme tbh
    I'm gonna try out different colors schemes anyway so I'll try these just to give it a shot.
    After a little diggin' I think I could try the same colors as her DJ skin illustration when she's in speed boost mode this deep blue and pruple/pink tones  :)

• gyllenhaal
    Offline / Send Message
    yah that'llbe cool
  • Caramie
    Offline / Send Message
    Sooo I mixed the parts i liked most together with some little touches and also a base grayscale version to do some overlay tests ;)
    Here's my favorites for now.
    I may try some gradients for the ribbons on the final version to remind her hair but those are just blockout colors anyway ^^

I do love the purple/blue one because it reminds me of thoses galaxy backgrounds x)
    Buut still opened to your C&C ;)
  • gyllenhaal
    Offline / Send Message
    Last ones my fav <3 . blue and yellow feel like her default skin.
  • Caramie
    Offline / Send Message
  • Caramie
    Offline / Send Message
    Soooo tonigh I wondered if I could switch yellow & blue from the left one to see what she'd look like as blond...

Tried to switch RGB channels to achieve this, then this happened...
    [spoiler]

[/spoiler]
    I think I got a little thrilled in the process  :#
  • yararstss
    Offline / Send Message
    yararstss polycounter lvl 6
    I realy realy liked the last one. This yellow with pink and orange suits very good with her and causes a very good contrast with the original color of the character haha
  • chemotoledo
    Offline / Send Message
    chemotoledo sublime tool
    This color palette 

• DawnHeart
    Offline / Send Message
    DawnHeart polygon
    Uuuuh nice colors!
    I really like the pink one (last one in second row) and the yellow/pink one (last one, third row) but I also like the second basic one (green/yellow) or the green/purple one (first one second row)... uuuuuh you make it so hard to decide x_X
  • motenai
    Offline / Send Message
    motenai polycounter lvl 18
    Love the concept, very spot on with the theme.
    Love the colors too, really fitting
  • uboaaa
    just an advice, the star guardian colors seem to mean something,
    pink for the leader (lux/ahri) 
    red for the adc (and also the leader's best friends) (jinx/mf)
    purple for the team's advisor (janna/syndra)
    green for the support/healer (lulu/soraka)
    and blue(with nothing in common) (poppy/ez)

with that in mind i think sona could fit better with green or blue
    great work btw, i really love the concept 
  • gyllenhaal
    Offline / Send Message
    ^^ That blue thing is so true.. :D
  • Caramie
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks all for the comments and advices :blush:

@chemotoledo xD

@uboaaa I didn't get this color meanings but it seem's you're right ! I always seen's Ahri's color more like a red/orange but I just noticed her gem is pink. I first wanted to go in a Soraka's like tone because of their calm temper. It seems that wasn't a bad guess there. Also even if she can't talk she could be a fitting advisor plus purple fits her so good in my eyes now  o:)
    Maybe green's defensive support/heal and blue offensive support (second dps or tank)?

Anyway with all those I'm still not decided between green/blue or purple/blue (even if loosing her "heal" color is sad)

So it'll either one of those i think: 2/3 first row or 2 second row or even a mix of 3/first with a more greenish dress like 2/second
    If you're following my almost mathematical text.

Anyway before spending to much time on this dilemma I'm gonna go to sculpting and may choose colors later with some more insight.

Long time ago I did tried to play Sona AP and she kinda put it trough with her speed/slow helping the chases but that's only a story ;)
  • Caramie
    Offline / Send Message
    SooOoo

Just getting started here but here's what I did so far, just posing body shapes before getting any futher :wink:
    Arms are too clumpsy to get shown yet :p

• Casleon
    Offline / Send Message
    Casleon vertex
    The first person that can do a GOOD SG Champ
  • Caramie
    Offline / Send Message
    Finally got some time to spend on and worked on her face and posed some blocking for the hair
    Sorry for the shitty screengrab  :(

• Caramie
    Offline / Send Message
    Getting closer ! 
    I got basemesh for the clothes here and base color just to get a nice shot :p 
    Still missing shoes/socks and gloves though.

I'm gonna add white rounded shape under the back ones to get a flower-like back like the one jinx have.
    Gonna have a hard times getting all this done by the end of the month but I'm gonna manage some more free time for her in the next weeks!

@Casleon : thanks!
    Sorry i didn't answer in last post I wxas more in a "post and go to bed quick" mood ^^"
  • Caramie
    Offline / Send Message
    Face is painted!

Got quite a hard time here ^^"

• Caramie
    Offline / Send Message
    Finally Done!
    Sorry for the late news anyway :pensive:

Here's mys shots, hope you all will like her ;)