Home Animation Showcase & Critiques

FEEDBACK - ed405 Tumble Animation

cambamkaboom
polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
cambamkaboom polycounter lvl 7
Hey everyone, 

Could I please get feedback on this tumbling Animation with ED-405? 

i left the motion trail on the lower body showing to reveal the curve. 
I feel like the body hangs unnecessarily from frames 92-95. 

https://syncsketch.com/sketch/203302#281807

Thanks, 
Cameron

Replies

• AGoodFella
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AGoodFella polycounter lvl 5
    Cool stuff.

At the start, I'm a little unsure of what is happening. From f0-55. 

At f64, is he not expecting such a steep drop? Because he just seems to fall right off without some kind of struggle.

F77 - the second bounce could be a little faster I think to vary it up more. Seems a little slow which is made worse by the sudden speed up into f91.

When he falls off the cliff, I would expect him to keep that forward momentum going. But I get that you need him to bounce off the side of the rock. So have him loses his balance or whatever before he falls off, maybe hits a stone on the floor right at the edge of the rock.

The rotation is very even until f91 and then all of a sudden, he does a full 360 in 5 frames or so. This feels off. He also hangs too much in the air like you said.

The end could have a bit more of a recovery instead of a smooth roll to a stop.

Is the motion trail tracking the wheels? Or is that just where your 'body' control is?

Looking good, just some timing and clarity changes.
  • cambamkaboom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cambamkaboom polycounter lvl 7
    At the start, I'm a little unsure of what is happening. From f0-55. 
    Cool, since you can't tell that means i need better posing. He's supposed to be looking up to a larger character off-screen very slowly, due to the size of this other character. He then jumps in shock/fear only to reverse off of the cliff

At f64, is he not expecting such a steep drop? Because he just seems to fall right off without some kind of struggle.
    Correct, he's not supposed to know (or maybe remember) that he's on top of a cliff

F77 - the second bounce could be a little faster I think to vary it up more. Seems a little slow which is made worse by the sudden speed up into f91.
    Noted

When he falls off the cliff, I would expect him to keep that forward momentum going. But I get that you need him to bounce off the side of the rock. So have him loses his balance or whatever before he falls off, maybe hits a stone on the floor right at the edge of the rock.
    Noted

The rotation is very even until f91 and then all of a sudden, he does a full 360 in 5 frames or so. This feels off. He also hangs too much in the air like you said.
    Yeah, here i was having trouble. When an object falls, does it do so from it's center? Head? Feet?

The end could have a bit more of a recovery instead of a smooth roll to a stop.
    Noted

Is the motion trail tracking the wheels? Or is that just where your 'body' control is?
    It's not the main controller, but the one just after than. It controls the entire body.

Looking good, just some timing and clarity changes.
    Thanks for the feedback!
  • AGoodFella
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AGoodFella polycounter lvl 5
    "Yeah, here i was having trouble. When an object falls, does it do so from it's center? Head? Feet?"

I'm pretty sure it's the center of gravity that you should track when things are airborne.

Here is a good playlist for animation physics:

https://www.youtube.com/user/AlejandroLuisGarcia/playlists?shelf_id=4&view=50&sort=dd