Home Contests & Challenges Archives Riot Creative Contest 2017 Riot Creative Contest 2017 - Character Art

[RIOT CREATIVE CONTEST 2017] Character Art - Super Sentai Inspired Kled

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
jonjon polycounter lvl 6
Hey guys!

I've decided that for this challenge I'm going to design a new skin for Kled that's going to be inspired by Super Sentai/ Power Rangers. Kled will be dressed in a rangers suit with a lot of the design emphasis going into his helmet seeing as most of his body is obscured by Skaarl's head during gameplay. Skaarl's design will be based off of the zords in the show. Here's a moodboard to demonstrate what I'm thinking.

Good luck everyone! I'm really looking forward to this one :smile: 

Replies

• jonjon
    Offline / Send Message
    jonjon polycounter lvl 6
    First WIP! I've managed to block most of the main shapes for Kled himself and next is coming up with helmet designs and the overall look of the suit. Still unsure whether I like the fold detail so far. I added it to make up for the lack of detail that would be in the sculpt but I'm wondering whether it's too much for on the body, I'm happy with the boots and gloves though. Thoughts and crit would be appreciated :smile:

• VL5
    Offline / Send Message
    VL5 polycounter lvl 2
    This is a crazy cool Idea!! I love it! I think it would fit very well alongside Super Galaxy series!

Some suggestions/ideas

For the shape of his head would it look a little better if you maybe made it wider so it's more round, just to match the anatomy of the default in game model. For his helm maybe add some kinda of design like Veautiful Joe has on the top of his helm?

My ideas might be a little early but overall really cool concept and I can't wait to see what Skaarl looks like in Zord form.
  • jonjon
    Offline / Send Message
    jonjon polycounter lvl 6
    @VL5 Thanks! Yeah I see what you mean, the head is looking a little narrow and unround :tongue: I'll work on correcting that before I get too into the helmet designs. As for the veautiful joe suggestion, you read my mind! I'm 100% going to play around with various horns and crests for the helmets, I want to try and get some of the height in Kled's design that would be there if he had his default hat, I think adding this kind of detail to his helmet will help that.
  • Ro-Bo
    Offline / Send Message
    Ro-Bo polycounter lvl 5
    Yay finally some WIP :)
    The idea is great, can't wait to see his zord!
    For the helmet, just throwing an idea here, but maybe you can shape it so the ears fit in (if that's not already what you wanna do!)
    Remind me of that show called "Biker Mice From Mars" I used to watch as a kid x)

And maybe add some "chest armor" like this :smiley:

Anyway, great start! Keep going!
  • jonjon
    Offline / Send Message
    jonjon polycounter lvl 6
    @Ro-Bo Thanks dude! Yeah the chest armour was an idea I've been toying with in my head, I'm going to be doing designs over the suit as the next step along with the Helmet so I'll give this a go :smile: And "Biker Mice from Mars" is a good call, I'll give the helmet idea a try when I do the Helmet designs. Thanks again!