Home Adobe Substance

Substance Designer to UE4 Map Distortion

polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
Zalek4 polycounter lvl 5
Hi everyone!

I'm working on a stylized brick substance in designer for a game. However, when I import the substance into UE4, it looks completely wrong. 

Normals and substance in Designer:

Normals in UE4:

Look in UE4 when applied to an object:

As you can see, they look totally different due to the distortion that's happening. I'm exporting the substance from designer as a '.sbsar,' but I'm not importing it any different than I would an environment piece (I'm just hitting 'import' and selecting the exported file). Could it be that I need to import it in a different way? I have the Substance plugin, I may just not be using it correctly.

Thanks!

Z

Replies

• Eggfruit
    Offline / Send Message
    Eggfruit polycounter lvl 3
    Game engines use the substance cpu engine, which can sometimes give different results then the gpu engine, which designer uses by default. You can change to the cpu engine in designer by going to Tools>switch engine and selecting SSE2. This way it will also look wrong in designer,but at least you can then change it so it looks right in the right engine.
    I personally don't know which nodes are affected by the 2 different engines though.
  • Jerc
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
    Id doesn't look remotely similar. Are you sure you don't have multiple graphs in your sbsar?