Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Horizon: Zero Dawn Cabin Interior - Final year project

Mikevshero
node
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
Mikevshero node
Hey guys, first time posting on here, my supervisor suggested putting my progress on poly count as there are a lot of helpful people who can give my work some constructive criticism, so if you could give me any tips and pointers along the way it would be greatly appreciated :).

Research (moodboards)

(Useful website I found while researching the prop assets)
http://karakter.de/wordpress/projects-post/horizon/#/projects-post/horizon/

Asset List

Pre Production Document

Block out

Modelling/sculpting

Wooden planks

Logs

Candle

Replies

• Mikevshero
    Made some progress on the enviroment in engine. I decimated the logs, imported them into 3ds max, made a copy and pro optimised them to create a high to low normal map in substance painter and imported into engine to replace the block out log walls. Also had a mess around with the lighting and post process and imported the rope model I made to have a look at what the logs and rope look like together so far. The ropes look pretty low poly close up but I feel as though they have to be considering there will be a lot of them.

• raulgarcia3D
    Great work! Nice reference search, well modelled wood sticks! 
    Tips & Questions:
    For the wood sticks, are you going to texture them more? Some variation for the texture so not all the sticks look like the same. As I see this is a WIP I can't tell if some things are done or in progress.
    For the chimney, some more ligthing on the pipe where the some goes up, some light bloom for the ceiling and the cangle lights in my opinion end really close from the starting point of light. Make the far attenuation go further so it does not look artificial.
    Keep it up! 

• Mikevshero
    Thanks man :) no the textures I have on at the moment are just place holders with a colour diffuse and some roughness and metallic settings, I plan on making all of my own textures once the modelling is complete using substance designer. Thanks for the lighting advice i'll make sure to add those improvements :)
  • Mikevshero
    Recently I've made a lot of improvements to the enviroment. Firstly I went back and changed the composition of my block out to make it a little more visually interesting and to fit my reference. Next I spent some time on the lighting of the enviroment and sculpted the rest of the wooden assets, which includes some logs, wooden planks (which I turned into a tillable texture for the floors with a parallax occlusion materials) a small candle holder and a table leg, similar to the one seen in one of the moodboards I created at the start of the project.

I'm currently working on the fireplace model. To tackle this I created a handful of low poly rocks and will be using them modularly to create the whole fireplace,in oppose to spending countless hours making every rock separately. Below is a quick test of the rocks copied and placed to make the fireplace asset.

I then imported the low poly rocks into Zbrush and had a quick go of sculpting some detail into them, by pinching the edges to make them sharper and adding a surface noise.

• Mikevshero
    Been hard at work recently. Made changed to the scene composition, lighting, finished all the wooden sculpts (logs, planks used as a tileable texture with a parallax occlusion material, table leg and candle holder.

I've also started on the fireplace, which I'm creating using a handful of low poly rocks(which will be used modularly.) here is a quick test in 3DS Max.

I've also taken the rocks into zbrush and had a quick go of sculpting detail, by pinching the edges to sharpen them and adding a surface noise.

• Mikevshero
    Finally finished the fire place and put it into engine. To do this I completed the rock sculpts, unwrapped the low poly and baked a normal map in substance. I then created the fireplace out of the low poly rock models and imported it into engine. I also did the same for the candles I made before Christmas. Finally I added in some simple basket models and tweaked the lighting a little.

• Mikevshero

Made a fair amont of progress since the last post. I added in some large logs underneath the top tier to show that is being supported. I started looking into incorperating the ropes into my scene, and normal mapped the rope effect onto a single cylinder as suggested in a previous meeting. I'm trying to use the rope as modular as possible, as it wll be used on a lot of the assets. Here are a few tests I carried out over the week with the rope.

Afterwards I spent some time modelling some of the smaller assets to replace the block out models. Firstly I created the arrow, which required some trial an area through the design stage uuntil lI created the arrow head I was happy with.

I then created a simple jar and pot, and imported them into engine along with the sack I created before christmas, which still requires some rope added to it. I havw also included a weekly progress shot.

• Mikevshero
    Here is a big progress update on my environment.
    I've added in all of the ropes into the scene, as well as a complete watcher head, bow and armor pieces. I've also made a animal pelt however it still needs some work. Finally I've improved the general lighting and started texturing the wood.

• Maxilator
    Offline / Send Message
    Maxilator polycounter lvl 8
    I think the floorboards would work better if they were in a displaced pattern

Something like this. where the short end isn't lined up.