Home Career & Education

Regularly visiting a doctor/dentist/psychiatrist in the industry?

JordanN
interpolator
Offline / Send Message
JordanN interpolator
I feel this topic is very important to me so there is something I need to know.

I recently turned 24, but I haven't seen a medical professional since I was 16. I told myself, the day I do get hired as a 3D artist, one of my first priorities is to immediately start seeking medical help again.

While it sounds straight forward, my impression of working in games/VFX is that there's going to be a lot of work, including doing tons of overtime/night shifts etc.

So I want to know do my goals of seeking medical treatment while working full time making art come in conflict with each other? 

Replies

• CrackRockSteady
    Your health should be a priority.  Unless you're a freelancer or contract artist most studios provide ample vacation time and sick time, I've never had a problem making time for an appointment for anything.

Also, while crunch is certainly a factor in this industry it's unlikely that you'll be working so many hours that you literally have zero time outside of work for your personal needs.
  • JordanN
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanN interpolator
    It's good to know if there is ample vacation time to see a doctor.

Maybe it's my current and previous jobs that had me very concerned about asking this. They never offered any health plans, and a stigma existed for when you asked for a break/day off during intense scheduling.

• CrackRockSteady
    I'm sure it varies from employer to employer how they handle employee absences for personal matters but in my experience it has never been an issue.  If it's crunch time and there's a ton of stuff to get done I've never had anyone take issue with me coming in after hours or on weekends.
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    As Crack said, if your studio is a decent (not just cool) studio, doing a regular doctor appointment or something similar should not be a problem.  Perhaps even used as a vacation day as it was for me.  Unless for some reason those appointments take all day.

• JordanN
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanN interpolator
    As Crack said, if your studio is a decent (not just cool) studio, doing a regular doctor appointment or something similar should not be a problem.  Perhaps even used as a vacation day as it was for me.  Unless for some reason those appointments take all day.

That last part might be the case for me. Being located in Canada, wait times for seeing a doctor can take several hours.

Since it's been 8 years I last saw one and the population has only kept increasing, I don't see it getting any shorter.  :|
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    I would think Canadian studios would culturally be open to that problem?  For example, traffic is used an excuse a lot for being late in Los Angeles/Orange County, and we culturally complain about traffic a LOT.

Is there not a sense of that from what you've experience/observed?
  • PixelMasher
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelMasher veteran polycounter
    At all the studios i have worked at in canada it has never once been an issue. Just sent an email the day before, even during crunch that i would be in later or have to leave early or even take the day off and it was always fine. Infact i am pretty sure it is illegal for a company to punish you for stuff like that. Never had to use a vacation day to cover this time off. At ubisoft you have unlimited sick days as well.

as a contractor a couple times i had to take an unpaid day if it was more than a few hours off, but most of the time they just shrugged it off and paid me the full day anyways. 

The biggest mistake people who are employed with benefits make is never using them. Its literally several thousand dollars per year you are paying for with only a couple hundred off your paycheque per year. Go get those massages, glasses and dental work done!

i dont get why there is such an impression out there that you are a slave to a studio and have to be there chained to your desk. Your job should be a 2 way street, not you are owned by the company you work for. 

I would say if you are getting your work done then your lead should have no problem with this. when it comes to your health, you dont ask for permission, you tell them you are taking the time off. 

If a company is run like a nazi internemnt camp, you should be looking for a new job anyways. 
  • Larry
    Offline / Send Message
    Larry interpolator
    I'd say you worry too much about problems that are not there yet. Find a job and you will have the time to look after your health as well. You won't be a slave working in a cave all day, the jobs may be demanding but dude, chill, you will have time to do other stuff as well hopefully
  • BrianShray
    Offline / Send Message
    BrianShray polycounter lvl 4
    Shouldn't be a problem.
    Most studios will give you a number of annual leaves as well as sick leaves.
    Unless you're visiting the doctor multiple times a week and its becoming a serious concern, in which case you're better off taking an extended time off to address your health issue first and foremost. 
  • Bletzkarn
    Offline / Send Message
    Bletzkarn polycounter lvl 6
    Yea I stopped working out and put on 20lbs. Not good. I also have a lump in my leg, need to go to the dentist as well. I'm 26. Just finding the time is hard.
  • AGoodFella
    Offline / Send Message
    AGoodFella polycounter lvl 5
    I've put tons of weight on in the past few years. There is literally no time. It's work at your day job and then work at night at home on your demo reel/portfolio. And I haven't even gotten my first game job so all I'm doing now is working on my reel.

Plus, I feel like I'm in a rut and I'm just constantly grinding to better myself to make it in games. Not healthy, but it's like my whole life is relying on me getting that first job.