Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Need some advice for Head Modelling

cenwenki
node
Offline / Send Message
cenwenki node
Hi there. I'm new to character modelling and i feel like i hit a wall at the moment. I couldnt solve the my models under the eye / cheek problem. No matter what i do, it alway looks weird, any advice to solve it would be great.

Replies

• carvuliero
    Offline / Send Message
    carvuliero hero character
    You have some planes that are not quite right .I have attached few images that will clarified what I am talking about but if not let me know

• cenwenki
    Offline / Send Message
    cenwenki node
    Thank you! I am checking them with your planes. Yeah, especially nose area and some lower mouth loop that goes to back of the head really bothering me. Gonna try to fix it, thank you again.
  • cenwenki
    Offline / Send Message
    cenwenki node
    Phew, i feel like i have much much clean and correct topology right ? Now i can start to neck and add some details. Still not sure about eye brow ridge part but maybe it will go more smoother when i add more edge loops and merge the other side of face ?

• Elithenia
    Offline / Send Message
    Elithenia polycounter
    I would say you still have to go back to the reference pics that @carvuliero posted and focus on making your model a bit closer to those, before you start to worry too much about where the topology goes. 
    Eyes should be at the halfway point from the top to chin as an example. 
    You also need to have more of a forehead on your model for it to look more correct. 

Compare your model to the following image and see where you can push it to be a bit closer in the proportions. (overlaying the image is a great way to see where they differ)

• carvuliero
    Offline / Send Message
    carvuliero hero character
    Looks like your proportions are a bit off especially eyes . I have attached decimated version of little girl study I did yesterday so you can have some sort of 3d reference to guild you with how face turn from front to side plane also with depth of the face features 

• Brian "Panda" Choi
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    @carvuliero
    Do you have reference planes set up in your viewport while you're head modeling?  If you're eyeballing this, it does not seem to be the most effective method at the moment.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Z3BO-vHMjg

• cenwenki
    Offline / Send Message
    cenwenki node
    Thank you for all your advices. I didnt noticed or pay attention to forehead and eye proportions. You guys put a light for me. This is the updated proportions. The edgeloop from the start of the neck fell down after smooth view, probably adding a close edgeloop will fix. Now here is the question. I saw in many ref pics and sketches there are a polygon group starts from back and end of the head and diagonally come down to in front of the neck then goes to shoulders etc. Should cut through and adjust the rest of the neck polys or there is a proper way to do that ?

• Brian "Panda" Choi
    Offline / Send Message
    Are you talking about the sternocleidomastoid muscle?
  • cenwenki
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Offline / Send Message
    You don't HAVE to define it polygonally.  For me, since I;'m usually sculpting heads in Zbrush to begin with, I expect it to usually be baked into a normal map.

If you're specifically trying to box model this, I'd recommend defining it to express that you understand anatomy.

Your foirehead is sloping in to aggressively and leaves little room for the brow.  I'd get to fixing that as well. 

The eyes on the outerbrow also needs that massing out you're missing atm.
  • cenwenki
    Offline / Send Message
    cenwenki node
    Update Time...!

My abomination progressed to this :) I am having a blast with UVMapping, who knew :3

• Brian "Panda" Choi
    Offline / Send Message
    Your lips are off.  The corners insert into the face, for starters.

You're gonna want to spend a lot more tim one the face.

• Elithenia
    Offline / Send Message
    Elithenia polycounter
    You still need to go back and check the proportions of the face. The eyes are still off proportionally... They should mostly be located in the middle of the face... Ears usually corresponds to the length of the nose. 
    Bottom of nose is usually halfway from the eyes to the chin.... 
    you need to go back to get these proportions/primary forms nailed. 
  • Ged
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    yeah I think the eyebrow, cheekbones and the whole area around the mouth still look quite obviously off, especially in the 3/4 view its obvious that these areas are a problem and it doesnt look like a skull would fit under the skin properly. I recommend doing studies of heads in zbrush before tackling good topology ideals. Really get good at making a mouth and ear etc in zbrush and then making the topology flow around the shape is just the icing on the cake.