Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[C&C] Desert Outpost/home

interpolator
Offline / Send Message
rexo12 interpolator
I finished this scene off a short while ago and figured I might as well show it here. Probably took around 2 weeks of on-off work.

I did this in Marmoset, as it really just started as a way to show off the tarp material (arguably the weakest bit of the scene) with some finished props I had lying around. I decided to expand upon it though and ended up with this. In retrospect it really should have been done in UE4 for particle FX and all that. Otherwise it's been modeled in Blender and textured in Substance.

My weak point is still low-poly baking. Some of the props here have too many polys for the detail level they're at, or aren't baked at all. I did a much better job baking this time around than in past projects, but it's still something I really need to get on top of. It really just comes down to me being lazy though. (I'd also like it if Marmoset could support cage baking). End result of this is probably ~120k tris, and the majority of that is focused in the cloth, shotgun and campfire/quixel assets.

A look at the wireframe - as you can see a lot in the cloth, logs, rocks and lanterns/scaffold. I could definitely shave a lot off the gun, campfire and the aforementioned props.

There aren't any flame/smoke effects in the lanterns and campfire either as I couldn't get it to look right with polycards or geometry particles, again something that would be easier in UE4.

Should also note that the ground texture, log and grasses are not my props, they're part of the quixel megascans freebies.

C&C welcome, tell me what you think.