Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Alligator Tank

polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
Skinner3D polycounter lvl 5
I found this set of concepts a couple of months ago on Artstation and couldn't resist doing one for this project. Mostly done with the modeling in Lightwave and will throw it in ZBrush soon (if my computer doesn't get packed up before that). The kids are on the list of things to model, but that will be after the tank is done. I know I am missing a couple of wires and tubes, and still have to do the flags. I was having trouble figuring out how to model fluttering cloth. Comments welcome.

Original Concept:

A couple views of my work

Replies

• Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    Love the design. You've done a good job translating it 3d.

My one thought is that the segmented portions of the alligator could use some cleaner lines. On the tail, I'd be inclined to keep the segments somewhat uniform  and use the hinging to get that nice arc, rather than actually bending is around.
  • Skinner3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Unfortunately is been a weird/busy couple of weeks with the move happening, and I lose my computer tomorrow so I won't be able to update for a couple more weeks. I did take what you said into consideration, but the best I was able to do was scale in the tail segments to get more of a step effect. A lot of this concept doesn't make sense mechanically. I am trying to match the concept as close as I can regardless of reality.
  • Skinner3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So I have my computer back and I put the tank into ZBrush. My brain is having trouble grasping how to actually go about this though. From what I have seen on this forum I suspect substance painter would be a better bet, but I don't have that.
    What is a standard work flow for texturing a hardsurface object with lots of pieces and lots of different surfaces?  Texturing has never been my strong point. Never learned really how to make good ones. ZBrush has helped immensely but with only really organic models. For this reason I have tended to model as much detail as I can then use simple surfaces. Trying to fix that.
    On a related note, ZBrush doesn't like the multi edge polygons that are scattered throughout the model so I triangulated them. Now the triangle geometry is messing with letters and stuff I am trying to paint on as shown. I have always sort of gave up at this point and put the images on as additional textures later in Lightwave.
  • Skinner3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well, I am back. Got substance painter for Christmas and have been working on this and another model. I like the painting system so far.
  • Skinner3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Final render. It was a fun ride. Learned a lot about getting models and textures in and out of Substance. Now to find a new project.