Home Technical Talk

Help with Hair (That old chestnut)

null
Offline / Send Message
Rujirei null
So I think this question may or may not have been asked to death and torn to shreds (you say), but I'd like some clarification here.

Be warned, I'm a complete newbie at all this and some technical words might fly over my head right now. Also, using Zbrush 4R8 and a trial version of Maya 2018.

I'm following this guide HERE (yes that one) for creating "game" viable hair for my first ever model. I'm keeping the polys fairly last gen for the sake of my toaster of a computer. Currently, Althea looks like this.

(I'm not sure on the leg proportions just yet)

Anyway, I reach step 8 of the above guide I end up with something like this:

Why.

Am I missing a step? I hit utilize, move and sew and then unfold but I'm guessing there's an inferred step that I'm just not getting. I'll take any help I can get.

Replies

• poopipe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter

I assume you want nice straight UVs
    - in which case you want to unitize,  stitch by rings  and then unfold in one axis rather than both.

That said,  there are better ways to unwrap a strip now that maya has partially worked its way out of  the 1990s - try using straighten on what you have there
  • Rujirei
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rujirei null
    Thanks for the suggestion, but I'm not making any headway (perhaps I'm incompetent). Can't find stitch by rings anywhere, unless I'm misinterpreting what that means. 
  • poopipe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter
    Sorry, when I say stitch by rings I mean stitch edges that are in rings.

Anyway,  try straightening what you've got, it'll probably work.