Home Technical Talk

Z-brush Workflow

polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
analogous polycounter lvl 4
I've been considering investing in buying Z-brush in order to learn the program after I've been busy with college (graduated around may) and finally got the money to buy a new tablet to upgrade my Yinova 19u tablet to a Huion 19 tablet!

I also need to upgrade my pc, but I wanted to ask exactly what's the best workflow for working in z-brush as a beginner? I'm focused on environment pieces/props and I usually work in a blizzard-style/hand painted.
I've been told several things for tips tried to find tutorials online but I still get confused at using z-brush when I look at videos.

Do you start off making a very high poly model on maya then transfer to z brush to add more details?
Or is it better for me to make a low poly model THEN add subdivisions?
Also from there, I heard something about baking in the model IN z-brush. 

Please feel free to give me advice/feed back since I really want to understand z-brush, I'll post samples up on here later when my new tablet comes in the mail!

Replies

• Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    All those methods are valid.  Just depends what's gonna be faster with the particular object you're dealing with.

For example, I find it faster to sketch organic forms out in Zbrush before I try to do a cleaner, subdivideable model once I nail my silhouette.

I find it easier to block/boolean model hard surface items in Modo before bringing them in Zbrush many times.

Look for the ProBoolean tutorial Amsterdam Hilton Hotel's made a while ago. He explains a boolean/dynamesh methodology that works well for hard surface objects.

• analogous
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Brian "Panda" Choi

I see! I found some of my friends have told me to try is to use Sculptris as a way to add more details to the low poly model, then bake that high poly model and bake it on the low poly model to get a handle of the workflow I want to try before i officially boy z-brush!
    Thank you!
  • kanga
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kanga quad damage
    Sculpting compared to standard modelling, and being able to increase and decrease model resolution while sculpting gives you alot of freedom. Even hard surface modelling in ZBrush is pretty incredible. Sculptris is clever software but your options are limited. Maybe its all you'll ever need. But yeah, once you get used to ZBrush you will wonder how you ever lived without it.
  • analogous
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @kanga
    I'm definitely going to buy zbrush, at the moment, however I've invested a bit more money on the pc and tablet so it would be a while until I get zbrush. One of my biggest concerns is the process of getting used to zbrush since the UX is a weird learning curve for me. However I plan on posting a sketchbook topic later to do a small mini exercise project in order to get better at modeling and texturing, so hopefully I hope I get advice and feed back on my work!