Home Technical Talk

Undervolting Benefits!

polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
Koromo polycounter lvl 4
*This is an old post that i wrote months ago at sff (smallformfactor.net) as i´m a huge fan of  "mini pc".

ONLY TESTED THE NEW VOLTAGE EDITOR FROM MSI AFTERBURNER ON PASCAL GPU ( Nvidia Gtx 10xx series).
I´m not sure if it works this new addition on old/amd ones.

I think i´ll be benefitial for those who have toasty computers/laptops or simply to reduce the noise of the graphics card by a certain amount.

Let´s begin:

Undervolting in a nutshell means= Less voltage usage vs the original value, so, in short: Less consumption/temperature/noise in general.
The only downside, it can make your graphics card unstable if it cannot support that level of undervolting ( see images bellow) so my advice is to only save the msi profile when you have tested it´s stability ( like the overclock feature)

Programs used:
-Msi Afterburner for Undervolting. Click on the little icon left in Core clock to start modifying voltages at a certain frequency.
-Marmoset Toolbag for benchmarking fps and performance.
-An old wip that it´s now finished  :D

Fast tutorial(3 Steps):

1:

2:

TIP: Press "L" to "lock" your voltage at a certain  frequency to prevent the usage of dynamic voltage/frequency( the commonly named Gpu boost from Nvidia). In the screeshot you can see that i locked the voltage at 850mV for 1835Mhz.

3:

As it seems a lot of people here lack or don´t like technical specs or things about our computers i´ll put a summary showing comparison screenshots between the original value of voltage and the undervolted sweet spot for my Gtx 1060

Comparison:

STOCK: 70ºC, 1.05V 105W consumption. 1049mV.

UNDERVOLT: 55ºC, 0.85V 70W consumption. 850mV.

Roughtly -35w and -15ºC for the same core mhz and some oc in the memory(same performance/fps).

i ´ve tried to summarize it as short as possible so if anyone have questions i´ll answer it delighted.

Also the link to the original and more detailed post i wrote as a research and benchmarking of this "new" method of  easy undervolting: 
https://smallformfactor.net/forum/threads/researching-performance-per-watt-and-power-efficiency-undervolting-etc.1924/page-3#post-43818

If anyone want to try it and post the results it´s widely welcomed to beat me in terms of performance/watt!!