Home Unity

Optimize Alembic Files for Unity

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
sknueppel polycounter lvl 7
Hey there everyone,
I have a question regarding some realtime visualisation ;)
first of all I would like to explain to you what I am aiming for and which Program I m using.

I got the half of a sphere, in it is a jelly or slime like liquid. 
The sphere is animated  and should contract a bit so that the slime will be squeezed out of the Sphere.
The Program I m Using is 3ds Max 2016

This is for a VR Visualisation in Unity so it should work in realtime.

My first approach was to try it with "m Cloth" (the slime) and a "Kinetic rigid Body" (the contracting Sphere), but I m completely new to this feature.
It worked out not too bad, as long as the rigid body was not moving. 

After that, I tryed to simulate it with Pheonix FD. The overall look worked pretty well, but when I wanted to export it I mentioned that it only supports the Alembic format (meshwise).
My next thought was to reimport the Alembic file, reduce it for the Realtime Engine via Pro Optimizer and export it as an OBJ Sequence. 
But it didnt worked out, because I wasnt Able to reduce it globaly.

I hope it is clear what I m aiming for, if not, dont hesitate to ask.
Thank you very much

Replies

• Axi5
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Axi5 interpolator
    Alembic files are huge and hard to stream in real-time, but it's possible as proven by OATs team on Adam - The Mirror. I've also built USD with alembic built in and installed a unity package that can stream these to test. Unfortunately the results for real-time simulations were quite slow, so I'd be interested in hearing if someone else knows how to optimize this.

A technique used by some guys at SideFX used a vertex texture approach:

Pretty damn clever imo, but you'll have to find a way to export a vertex texture from Max and then you'd have to write a shader in Unity that understands this.