Home Career & Education

Former Naughty Dog Artist claims harassment. Naughty Dog says "no evidence".

JordanN
interpolator
Offline / Send Message
JordanN interpolator
I thought this was important to share. News of harassment stories are leaking out of Hollywood and now one developer from the game industry has come forward with his claim. 

EDIT: For anyone joining in, all quotes were made public on twitter, by both parties. These are not my opinions.

In late 2015, I was sexually harassed at Naughty Dog by a lead. My work environment became extremely toxic afterward. 1/

In February 2016 I had a mental breakdown at work & Sony Playstation HR became involved. When I told them about the harassment they... 2/

...ended the call and fired me the next day. They cited the company was moving in a different direction and my job was no longer needed. 3/

They tried to silence me by offering $20,000 if I signed a letter agreeing to the termination as well as to not discuss it with anyone. 4/

I declined to sign. I have been unemployed for 17 months since. When interviewers ask why I left Naughty Dog, I say I was burned out... 5/

...by the crunch, ashamed to get to the root of the problem of being sexually harassed. 6/

I'm speaking out now because of the strength I've seen in others coming forward about their experiences in the TV/Film industry. 7/

This is the hardest thing I've ever done. I will not let anyone kill my drive or love for the video game industry, my passions or life. /END

Naughty Dog also finally responded as follows:

Replies

• Jakob Gavelli
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jakob Gavelli interpolator
    Nice click-bate title yo! 
    (It sucks if it's true, and it sucks if he's lying. Bad situation all around.)
  • JordanN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanN interpolator
    Nice click-bate title yo! 
    ????

I tried to fit all relevant details without making the title super long.
  • garcellano
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    garcellano greentooth
    I've followed his work over the years, and many others that are or were from Naughty Dog, when I was trying to dive in to environment art. This is mainly between him and the company. I'd stay out of the situation, JordanN, and would recommend not stirring the pot here and picking sides. This can turn into a legal issue.

This forum is full of artists in the industry and those wanting to break in. This industry is also small, where there's a 6 degree of separation with someone you know in the field. I'm sure you've heard of stories online, with one recently, where a post online insulting a company, can affect your employment on a job or potential job, especially if you might apply to that same company years later. I'm not saying it's bad to voice your opinion, but just be cautious what you're posting here, at a game art/game development forum, where the company itself has artists that go here, posts artwork, and gives advice/feedback.

I do hope David's doing fine after mentioning what he's been though.
  • JordanN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanN interpolator
    I haven't gone to any conclusions. I actually waited to post this thread when Naughty Dog gave their first response today to keep a balanced perspective.

Given both Naughty Dog and Ballard have aired this issue over a public forum (Twitter), I think it's fair that both parties have given consent to publish this elsewhere. Now if something legal does turn up, then that's where Polycount's mods should step in. 
  • Wesley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wesley polycounter lvl 13
    This thread is a bad idea.
  • slosh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slosh hero character
    It's only bad if you start flaming one side or the other.  As long as it's just a post about whatever valid information is out there, it's fine.  Of course, you could argue that this is information is readily available on multiple sites so it might not be necessary to create a thread here.
  • JordanN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanN interpolator
    Wesley said:
    I think harassment is a serious issue and speaking about these matters is the first step towards combating it.

It's a sensitive topic and I'm not encouraging anyone to go break NDA. But I'm not ok with trying to sweep these matters under the rug and pretending everything is all rosy. That's how we get this vicious cycle of stories like this breaking and then people ask "why did no one talk about this before?".
  • CreativeSheep
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CreativeSheep polycounter lvl 8
    Look what is happening in Hollywood.
    If he was sexual harassed then this thread is not a bad idea. Everyone is sex obsessed if you ask me.
  • throttlekitty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanN said:
    Wesley said:
    I think harassment is a serious issue and speaking about these matters is the first step towards combating it.

It's a sensitive topic and I'm not encouraging anyone to go break NDA. But I'm not ok with trying to sweep these matters under the rug and pretending everything is all rosy. That's how we get this vicious cycle of stories like this breaking and then people ask "why did no one talk about this before?".
    It is an important issue, but it's equally important to have all the facts, especially if you're a third party. Untrue allegations are just as harmful.

It's interesting that you say they 'finally' responded, but their reply was a day after his. I totally agree that people should speak up, and sexual harassment is often swept under the rug, but that's a bit biased, no?
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    Fact is, it probably happens a fair amount at game dev studios and most of the time it probably gets swept under the rug.  it probably happens a lot everywhere.

It's good to bring allegations out in the open because it might encourage those who have had similar experiences to also come forward and the sorts of people that harass others usually do it more than once.

So yes, this is a good thread.
  • pmiller001
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pmiller001 greentooth
    sexual harassment shouldn't be tolerated in any environment. I hope this issue gets resolved quickly and justly and that all parties involved receive immediate and appropriate compensation. 
  • sacboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sacboi high dynamic range
    Yeah, hope he is doing ok. A 17mth period without employment creating experiences he's renown for will incur it's own set of unique challenges, let alone on top of that dealing with this situation.
  • Larry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Larry interpolator
    I do not know if this is true, but people do mistakes in general. Things could be exaggerated, this could also be a personal issue between two people in the company, or it might have nothing to do with the company. It is good to let these things out in the public if they happen, but if this issue has happened once(and we suppose it is true), it is safe to assume that there were certain circumstanced that made this happen.

Now if there are more reports like this in the future for such a company, ONLY then their reputation will be trully affected.