Home Technical Talk

(Solved) Maya Multi-Cut, what's wrong with you (or me)?

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
bitinn polycounter lvl 6
Hi All,

I am on macOS + Maya 2018, and I can't get Multi-cut to work consistently. (I believe this issue also exists in 2017 or earlier, so maybe I was using the tool wrong):

1) I am trying to cut across the flat plane below, simply connecting vertices, but somehow Multi-cut doesn't like the vertex? I have to move my cursor a bit to find "the right spot"; holding "v" does me no good neither.

2) After the cut I usually do right-click or "enter" to commit the cut, but then the Multi-cut cursor sometimes would not show up for some reasons? I have to right-click again or do some mode switching voodoo to get it to show up.

3) And sometimes I connect the edge correctly then commit, but the edge is gone? I am not working with a complex or dirty model and I have checked the edge is not inside the model, so I am confused.

Is this a bug people just deal with? Or am I making this difficult for myself?

(EDIT: added a question as I just ran into them...)

Replies

• PolyHertz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyHertz polycount lvl 666
    If you're just making a cut between two verts that share the same face you could used shift+rmb > Connect Components (or Edit Mesh > Connect)
  • throttlekitty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    1) On tiny or dense meshes, getting the vert can be a pain sometimes. How big is this model? When picking the second vert, try clicking and dragging along an adjacent edge, then moving in to the vert you wanted to hit. This will let you know for sure if you have a geo problem.

2) Haven't run into that, sorry. Might be a MacOS problem? Reset prefs?

3) I know I've had that happen a few times, but can't think of specifics. Usually a good sign something bad happened with the mesh and needs some cleanup. I usually start with checking in smooth mesh preview to see if anything is subdividing oddly, or preselect highlighting is totally out of whack while in smooth preview.
  • TTools
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TTools polycounter lvl 4
    If you're struggling with the Multi-Cut tool (which I hear from people all the time), you can always revert back to the much simpler Split Polygon Tool.  In the script editor just type: 

SplitPolygonTool
    and press Enter on the Num Pad.  You can throw this command on a shelf too if you prefer it over the new one.  I usually keep it on a button for just such occasions when the multi-cut tool wants to act like a little b$tch :wink:

• laomusicArts
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    laomusicArts polycounter lvl 3
    Hi!
    I am having an issue with Maya 2018 and two vertex/Connect and getting this error msg:
     Error: line 1: Cannot find procedure "dR_multiCutTool".
    The TTools tip for MEL SplitPolygonTool brings a small window with instructions to click&drag,
    which I do... nothing happens....

Any clue?

Thanks for any help!
    LAOMUSIC ARTS