Home 2D Art Showcase & Critiques

Are edges of shadows more saturated?

adaweawe
polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
adaweawe polycounter lvl 3
See the red arrows in this photo for what I'm refering to.

Not sure why it is so blurry.
Original link to painting: https://www.artstation.com/artwork/eWqXD

Replies

• zachvance
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    zachvance polycounter lvl 2
    Are you asking if they should be or asking if they are in the painting? If you're shooting for photorealism I'm pretty sure the answer is no (though I'm no certain, and light/colour/the way we all perceive it is pretty varied). But they definitely are in the painting, and stylistically it works fine. I'm guessing it's a result of the painter's approach/technique. Probably laid down rough shadows in that colour before fleshing them out more and sharpening lines with something darker and less saturated.

But I'd also argue that you're looking at things in too fine of detail. Especially when the piece itself is so loose!
  • Mehran Khan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mehran Khan polycounter lvl 9
    this is a painting trick , it is used to bring more emphasis on the shadows without having to make the super sharp, this way your eyes registers the shadows as being hard/crisp/well-defined, but they are still blurry. The reason behind NOT having super sharp shadows is because you can't have the shadow form sharper than the actual surface forms in the paintings. So since the forms themselves are kinda blurry and impressionistic (kinda) the shdow is painted blurry but than this temperature accent is added to give the effect of a hot/sunny day.