Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Bunker Environment Study ( U4)

ninetitle
polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
ninetitle polycounter lvl 8
I've decided to challenge myself creating a complete environment in Unreal Engine 4

I decided on a command center in a Soviet bunker, at the beginning of the cold war.

After some research and planning, I gathered my references and began.

This is my main reference:

Here is the blockout of the small control room ( I imagine for the bunker itself) with some temporary lightning 

and here is the corridor outside of it, it looks a little big for an underground bunker but a lot of space will be occupied by pipework and wires so the result should be suitable claustrophobic  

I already learned much about Unreal in the time I've been working on this, especially after butting heads with the static lightning :lol:

I will try to update as much as possible and post my WIP and considerations on my progress and the challenges I'm facing.

And remember feedback and critiques are always welcome here  :smile:  

Replies

• macoll
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    macoll polycounter lvl 13
    Keep up
    Curious about the scene, sub
  • ninetitle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Little update, I've completed almost all the blockouts of the props and after that, I'm going to work on material and textures for the tilling pieces and the props.

I wanted to add some more detail to the props but my mentor told me to not lose sight of the big picture and I have to admit that losing time concentrating on some small detail is one of my weakness.

Till the next time where I hope the scene will begin to come together.

• Doxturtle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Doxturtle polycounter lvl 8
    Cool scene you've chosen, lots of nice material wear in that photo 

It feels a bit narrower compared to your reference photo, which had a bit more open space behind the chairs. To me it feels like a room of this sort would have a bit more room for people to move around and get to equipment. Feel free to ignore this if you are going for a different look though, the more cramped style might help to get that claustrophobic bunker feeling across
  • ninetitle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the feedback, it is pretty difficult to get the proportions right from the weird angle the picture was taken and I will probably still change things as I gradually refine the props and materials.

Still, you are right it looks a little narrower than it is, I wonder if is a FoV thing.