Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[WIP] Fallout 4 Laser Pistol

Hey all

A friend of mine recommended that I start posting on this site on a regular basis due to the projects i'm doing what my future goals are.
I'll give you a brief history of me. I've worked in the Games Industry for 4 years as a Designer/Producer and only ever dabbled in 3D Modelling when the creative urge takes hold.
Recently i have decided to step away from the industry for personal reasons and I'm working in Tech Support (Much less stress for me).

I've always been a keen onlooker of the Cosplay scene and have taken steps to get actively involved in it.
To that end i'm wanting my first Cosplay to be the Lone Wander from Fallout 4. First step in that is to create my favourite weapon - The Laser Pistol.
I do intend on 3D Printing it but i need to create it first digitally.

I'm using 3DS Max and i'll say now i'm kind of winging it. I have no professional experience or training on how to use it. But below are the fruits of my efforts so far.

Fusion Cell

The Fusion Cell was fairly easy. Its in 3 parts at the moment and my intention is to place a magnet on the bottom to hold it in the Pistol.

The Grip

The grip has been an experience for sure. Fun but a challenge as i'm unfamiliar with how to cut in the finger grips on the front. I'm happy with it so far but it will need some tweaks and some more tinkering but i'm going to moving on to the main body soon.

Thats it for now.

I really would love some honest opinions and helpful hints on how to make this look as close to the references i have as possible.
As i said my end goal is to 3D Print this, finish and paint it so it looks exactly like it does in game.
I may take some creative freedom to add/remove some parts to make it look more visually interesting.

Cheers
Phil

Replies