Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Feedback, creating Indy Game Art Assets

Hello, so after being a hobbisist for some time I've began offering my services for compensation, usually put the price low such as $250 for a character model, textures, and rig. But do you think the skills are up to par, or is there any areas that could use improvement? I would like to do this full time. 

What I am working on now:
Also my portfolio: https://www.artstation.com/scion01

Both of my projects so far have been for students though I have only been posting an Ad and not contacting any indy game studios.

Replies

• Ashervisalis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ashervisalis grand marshal polycounter
    What do you mean both your projects have been for students? You're not completing class assignments for them, are you?

With regards to what you've posted here, I think you could really work on your cloth sculpting and how clothing/items interact with the character's body.
  • fadingLight
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sorry I worded that badly. They were programmer's who wanted art assets for the game they were designing. That definitely is not what I had in mind when setting out to learn how to do 3D!

Thank you for the advice. The lack of cloth reference when sculpting the pants must be apparent.  

What I'm really asking is; Is the design so bad it should be done over again? 
    I would rather have an excellent portfolio piece and a happy customer than 
    something that wasn't. 
  • Shyralon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shyralon polycounter lvl 11
    Do you have a concept you are following or is it your own design? If it is your own, what style do you want to achieve/what are you references?

What personally stands out the most to me is the face, I would definetly gather more (anatomy) references for that. Currently it reminds me of some kind of gorilla-like face but without the characteristic shapes, the faces overall shape is really flat.
    The armor looks solid, the head piece could be a bit more cleaner and use some more details to get to the same level of detail as the backpiece.
  • fadingLight
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you Shyralon, that's the kind of feedback I was hoping for. 
    The request was a human who had been "genetically mutated with a gorilla and a beattle" which gives a wide spectrum to go on. So a bit of all 3. 

I made a few changes before painting, the claws on the wrist really added little to the overall silhouette. 
    Perhaps with a chin-guard that connects to the headpiece, the complexity could be improved.