Home Career & Education

3D - I need it back in my life - Some Friendly career/portfolio advice appreciated

Twibbz
null
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
Twibbz null

Sad events over 2 years ago our game 'Red Awakening' didn't receive the funding it needed to go fully into development and the team has to disband. I was forced into a different industry... alien to me. I just use AutoCAD like everyday and it makes me sad. I now strive to return to where i feel my heart is. Game Dev...  Creating 3D

I graduated college with high grades in Video Game Dev, I taught 3D theory for a year - developed a game for 2 years (mostly through trial and error with my team of 10)

I've been away from Game Dev & most 3D for nearly 2 years and I come back feeling like my mind is rotting from those years invested. I'd love to be like super active on here posting lots of Art - but the whole thing feels daunting now and it feels like i need to play major catch-up. 

I have no personal portfolio as such and I don't know where to start nor what it should fully include. What are employers really looking for in 3D Environment/prop artists? Are there things to look out for, whats a good start?

I'd love to get my foot back sort of half-way in the door... Preferably knock it down 

I'm proficient in the use of 3ds Max, intermediate in use of Unreal Engine & PS and only know the basics of Zbrush. I've never been great at texturing

I've just turned 25 and I worry about reaching my dream of working in the games industry.

I feel some friendly advice from some fellow artists would really give me a kick-start... hopefully this is allowed

Thank You in advanced :smile:

Replies

• Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    The short of it is they're looking for environment art thatt would fit into a game.  Think about the games you've played, look at the quality of the art that you'd like to emulate, and get on emulating that with an existing or your own concept.  You don't get to just do modeling or texturing.

That being said, what additional questions do you have?

• Larry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Larry interpolator
    Try learning substance designer. This will elevate your PBR workflow to a rather more realistic asset production with ease. You will get better at texturing your assets which i believe is the most important skill to have as an environmental artist. Make some scenery that you like. Try finding where your niche is. Make an interior scene, make a sci-fi interior scene, and make exterior environments. Start from a desert which has only a few props in it, and go more complex each time. Go to pinterest and find something you like, and try to recreate it. Just spend time doing things that you like, and if you finish them, upload them to your portfolio!
  • Twibbz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Twibbz null
    Thanks, ive actually got the Quixel suite (but never used). Ive heard better things about substance designer and i think im going to start with some tutorials on that and Zrbush. I'll look into Pinterest also.
    I guess its just getting the get up and go enthusiasm for it all after an 8hour shift 
  • Joebewon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joebewon polycounter lvl 12
    You just gotta make time for it man. Brian and Larry dropped some great info, now you just gotta hop on the art!  Lots of helpful and motivational stuff here to get your ass in gear after a work day. 
    http://www.dustinbrown.com/blog

Good luck and get to it! 

• YannickStoot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    YannickStoot polycounter lvl 3
    Hey man!

I feel you. I've been in the similar position. What I suggest is that you try to land a job in the area you want to land a job in. Sure you might not be able to land a job in a AAA studio. But something smaller and in worse case a visualisation company could be achievable. You can always take a cut in the pay. Just make sure it is in 3D. This will fill your day to day life with experience.

If this doesn't work for you or you are not good enough then see if you can manage with a part-time job so you have time to hone your skills to a level that can land you the job. Sure you can work in the evening but you will give up quite a lot of resting time, possibly burning you up.

Wish you good luck!
  • Twibbz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Twibbz null
    Thanks for the advice, I'm really going to try and push myself to get at least some work done