Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Goo factory diorama (WIP)

vertex
Offline / Send Message
mvdrocco vertex
Hello! 
Using this thread to document/ keep myself motivated by this fun project I've got going. 

Back in the summer of 2016, I scraped together a babbling effort of a diorama as a way to get a little bit of UE4 under my belt. 

After that, I poured a few more hours into that scene, making the river fluorescent yellow and the beach sand uncomfortably wavy. Still didn't feel like the whole thing was going anywhere.
Fast forward to now, I figured I quite liked those sewage spewing hills, and maybe there's some salvage to be done.
Bit of paint over, and we're back in business. 

Moodboard-thing, mostly as a reference for all the plants. The silos probably won't end up looking like actual silos, because that wouldn't make much sense. 

So far, I've got my basic props down: 

Trees, flowers, Ivy, rocks, a stump, some sea stuff. I'll probably add mode flowers and bushes as I go along.

Hardsurface meshes! Little noodle at the bottom is a unique ladder step.
Next up will be some textures! They probably won't be entirely hand-painted, as I like to waddle around Substance Painter. 

C&c welcome! 

Replies

• mvdrocco
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mvdrocco vertex

First texture pass! 
    The bird poo might be a bit much... I'll probably move that sort of detail to decals, which is also why there are no leak patterns from the tubes yet. 
    The ivy outside my apartment building has turned golden yellow on the edges. Although it was marvelous in real life, I'm not sure the look is what this scene needs. This will need to be toned down as well.
    I've got some purple, orange and white flowers, as well as smaller, lighter bunches. 

Anyway, that's me for today! 

• mvdrocco
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mvdrocco vertex

It's been a while! 
    I think I might have found a light and post-process setup that I like. Saturating the colours while decreasing the overall contrasts did the trick! Although I'll have to be careful with the saturation of the textures I import. The obligatory lavender flowers every diorama seems to have might have gotten burned in the process.
    I'm not happy with the grass texture, and the goo is still at placeholder stage.
    There may not be enough different types of flowers, but I didn't want to overdo it while the goo wasn't finalized. 

The water came from a project I toyed with a while ago ( demo video here ). I had to tweak the shaders to make them fit the scene, but I'm happy with the result so far. 

Anyway, thanks for reading! 
    Comments? Critics? Advice? I'll take them all!