Home Digital Sketchbooks

Sketchbook: Kevin Young

KYoung
polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
KYoung polycounter lvl 3
Hey all! By recommendation of my 3D instructor, I'm going to start updating a sketchbook on this forum. Comments and critiques are welcome. 

To start off, I'll upload my first project of the semester. I've uploaded this a few other places and I received feedback to improve the candles, and I'm in the process of that but trying to manage it while continuing through my semester so progress has been slow. I'll upload some screenshots of the WIP candles as well.

Rendersheet

model
Sketchfab

WIP Candles

Replies

• KYoung
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KYoung polycounter lvl 3
    And some WIP shots of my second project of the semester, a friendly mech!

Front View

Back View

Concept - Room 8 Studio 

I will be taking this into zbrush to give it a nice metal texture, then baking normals and texturing through substance painter.

• KYoung
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KYoung polycounter lvl 3
    Update since yesterday. Added in some additional beveling to armor plating throughout the robot and claw and also changed the hand. I've begun straying away from the concept for both added detail and improved functionality. Still need to add detail to the yellow armor plating on the claw arm and some adjustments in sizing now to compensate for the added bevels so my surfaces aren't intersecting where they shouldn't be. 

Full Body

Hand Close Up - I still want to add rods/pistons and wires in the opening of the yellow armor plating of the hand, as well as add in some nice knuckle plates to have a better transition between the fingers and hand.

• KYoung
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KYoung polycounter lvl 3

Updated candle, bones, and normal map. Increased texture display size in rendersheet.
    Gained 300 tris to smooth the candles but I think it was worth it.
  • KYoung
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KYoung polycounter lvl 3

Redesigned Claw Arm

Beginning to Add Rivets
  • KYoung
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KYoung polycounter lvl 3
    Small project I randomly decided to make, modeled in Modo and used the materials within the program to texture. Wanted to give a storybook kind of vibe and experiment using geometry in the landscape and plant life. Also wanted to use this to explore lighting more.

model

• KYoung
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KYoung polycounter lvl 3

Finished high poly, not going to end up using zbrush so everything was modeled in Modo

Retopo process
    Retopo - Currently 23,053 tris
  • KYoung
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KYoung polycounter lvl 3

Nearly done with Retopo and Unwrap, just missing the fingers.

I've also got this cafeteria in the works right now, it's going to be used in a VR simulation.