Home Quixel Megascans

Answered: Differences in Gloss Reflectance values between XML file and Photoshop?

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
cptSwing polycounter lvl 11
So I've been studying the XML files for Quixel/DDo's Materials, and I've noticed that while all other values entered in the respective XML files are respected upon import in Photoshop, the Gloss values are always a little off.

Examples:

C:\Program Files\Quixel\SUITE 2.0\script\presets\Materials\Basic Materials\Construction\Asphalt_-_Dark.xml - Gloss Reflectance Hex 2A2A2A / RGB 42.42.42
Photoshop/DDo - Hex 252525 / RGB 37.37.37

C:\Program Files\Quixel\SUITE 2.0\script\presets\Materials\Basic Materials\Metal\Aluminum_-_Foil.xml - Gloss Reflectance Hex CCCCCC / RGB 204.204.204
Photoshop/DDo - Hex CDCDCD / RGB 205.205.205

And so on, and so forth. It seems to result in bigger differences the lower the Reflectance value is, so I assume some kind of adjustment curve is applied somewhere. It also does not seem to happen with Custom Materials, only the built in mats. So what gives? :D

Replies

• Synaesthesia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Synaesthesia polycounter
    There should be adjustments being made to the project depending on the type of engine or renderer you're exporting to. This is likely nothing more than that. :)
  • cptSwing
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That's what I thought initially as well, but the wrong/different values are the exact same, no matter which calibration you work with, I've run through a few (even using the old non-pbr preset). And this subtle change still only affects gloss.
  • Synaesthesia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Synaesthesia polycounter
    I've forwarded this on to our programmer for investigation. Thanks for bringing it up!
  • cptSwing
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So any feedback regarding this?
  • Synaesthesia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Synaesthesia polycounter
    None yet, unfortunately.
  • Avis Para.doc's
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Avis Para.doc's polycounter lvl 9
    Up that topic. Same issue. I 100% sure that the problem is gloss Grey 8 color conversion. Both smart material and project.xml have right values but in PS layer creates with incorrect (darker) color. Rerender didn't help, it don't do anything with that colors. Reimport for 2 mesh groups still don't work. So basically in all my assets I forced to use action to bring back my gloss back corresponding to projects values. It's annoying. Offcourse I can convert Gloss.psd back to RGB8 and DDO will apply correct value only if Gloss channel is active otherwise it converts back to grey8 with awful interpolation of color (PS problem at that point - color space). Trouble is coming when you create smart materials with that not convenient gloss value becouse it take layer color. So more you iterate smart material more you lose exact gloss value and you end with black map at one point.