Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Female Soldier Vicky

Forde_Design
vertex
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
Forde_Design vertex
Heres something I'm working on to get back into Video Game Design, took a break from learning for 2 years to do Tattooing, now I am back, and want to start my Freelance Career. anyway Ii hope you enjoy

Replies

• Forde_Design
  • Forde_Design
  • Forde_Design
  • Forde_Design
  • Forde_Design
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Forde_Design vertex

first time doing alpha hair. probally have to do it again.
  • Forde_Design
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Forde_Design vertex
    basic disfuse started
  • dGreenberg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dGreenberg polycounter
    Hey @Forde_Design ; Do you have any reference for this character or were going for a particular look or style? Right now I think some of her anatomy might need a bit more attention, starting with the arms. I'm not sure if it's a problem with Vicky's normal map but what I think is suppose to be a scar is not reading too well. Is she currently in Unreal or an Engine? Is she being modeled in Maya? Her boots are reading "soldier," but I don't think the rest of her outfit / style is getting that point across. Any additional info or reference on the characters would be great to see. It'd also be pretty cool to see some orthographic shots of Vicky to get a better idea of her proportions from some different views. I hope you're able to keep pushing the character further!
  • TJ-Works
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TJ-Works polycounter lvl 5
    Hello!

Like @dGreenberg said, it's important to have orthographic shots of the model (front, back, side) with perspective turned off to get a good idea of her body proportions. From the shots here, she looks unrealistically stumpy. It's also good practice to make sure the base model (or high-res sculpt) is A-OK before moving onto other steps such as normal mapping and texturing, because you might find problems in the model that you might have to go back and fix, which could waste your time in texturing/normal mapping.

Also, what is her character outside of "Female Soldier"? Does she have a backstory? Are you working from an idea in your head or from reference images? What army does she work for? Does she have any unique qualities that you can show in her design? Are you going to add anything on top of her current design? I hate to sound snobbish but she currently doesn't have anything interesting going for her in her current state, especially when we can't tell much about her in both her design or lack of story.

If you post those orthographic shots of her model we can get a better idea of what needs editing/tweaking for her body proportions. Keep it going.
  • Forde_Design
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Forde_Design vertex
    Hey @Forde_Design ; Do you have any reference for this character or were going for a particular look or style? Right now I think some of her anatomy might need a bit more attention, starting with the arms. I'm not sure if it's a problem with Vicky's normal map but what I think is suppose to be a scar is not reading too well. Is she currently in Unreal or an Engine? Is she being modeled in Maya? Her boots are reading "soldier," but I don't think the rest of her outfit / style is getting that point across. Any additional info or reference on the characters would be great to see. It'd also be pretty cool to see some orthographic shots of Vicky to get a better idea of her proportions from some different views. I hope you're able to keep pushing the character further!
    hey yeah the concept was Female Post ww3 Survival  kind of thing, the colourcomp is not anywhere like the concept. I never did much work with bumpmaps and texturing difuse, im kinda new to sculpting, only really ever did low poly with texture. thanks for you feeback,  yeah im kinda realising those issues now, i have gotton in a bit more of anathomy since so progress hopefully. the real purpose of this model was too see if i could learn all this kind of stuff,

so I just went off a sketch i did, want to do something a bit realistic in style, didnt use reference, i shud tho, the concept kind of ex-military in post war situation, her attitude was dont hold back no matter what. daring and fearless. she was proctective and kind sort of thing.

the programs i used were blender n sculptris  n xnormal
  • Forde_Design
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Forde_Design vertex
    TJ-Works said:
    Hello!

Like @dGreenberg said, it's important to have orthographic shots of the model (front, back, side) with perspective turned off to get a good idea of her body proportions. From the shots here, she looks unrealistically stumpy. It's also good practice to make sure the base model (or high-res sculpt) is A-OK before moving onto other steps such as normal mapping and texturing, because you might find problems in the model that you might have to go back and fix, which could waste your time in texturing/normal mapping.

Also, what is her character outside of "Female Soldier"? Does she have a backstory? Are you working from an idea in your head or from reference images? What army does she work for? Does she have any unique qualities that you can show in her design? Are you going to add anything on top of her current design? I hate to sound snobbish but she currently doesn't have anything interesting going for her in her current state, especially when we can't tell much about her in both her design or lack of story.

If you post those orthographic shots of her model we can get a better idea of what needs editing/tweaking for her body proportions. Keep it going.
    thanks. yeah the whole thing behind this model was to see if i could do this sort of thing only ever did low poly before with one texture. am the story behind her was post ww3 survival  kind of thing, the real goal was just to see if i could sculpt a realistic model n texture, but what i have learned doing this is what i dont know, so now i am looking more at anatomy , only ever did like comic book kind of stuff, and then theres doing hair i need to learn that , what is you take on hair should i persue Baked Hair Strands or Painted Textured hair,... I also need to upgrade my computer , n programs , i use blender n sculptris, i want to get ZBrush Core, any thoughts on that? no any input is great i find thanks. i dont know how much i can progress with her in her current state, I would have to start again made too many mistakes along the way i find. but might take some time as i dont have much of it right now
  • Forde_Design