Home Career & Education

Looking for Mentors

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
pedrovarella13 polycounter lvl 6
Hello, my name is Pedro Varella. I am 20 years old, and a junior 3D character artist. Currently I am looking for experienced 3D artists to kindly help me on my journey as an artist.
Anyone who is interested, please, feel free to contact me via my email: pedrovarella3d@gmail.com, here on Polycount or wherever you may find best.

This is my portfolio: www.artstation.com/pedro-varella

This is my latest personal project:

Replies

• NikhilR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NikhilR polycounter
    Your work looks pretty great, what were you looking for mentoring on specifically?

• pedrovarella13
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NikhilR said:
    Your work looks pretty great, what were you looking for mentoring on specifically?

Thanks a lot NikhilR. I am looking for someone to give me tips on how to refine my workflow, improve my artistic skills and get me a close, step-by-step guidance on production of game characters so that I may bring my art to the next level.

• NikhilR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NikhilR polycounter
    I'm a character artist in process of refining my own portfolio (My earlier background was in environment art)
    Most of the advice I've received is online but I'm at a point where I feel I know what's missing in my portfolio and what I need to do.

Based on my experience I could give you some tips, though I think at this point its more about refining your current portfolio for applications to specific companies (If a job is what you are looking for)

Your current portfolio has two completed game ready characters, "Muscle" - stylized character and Scifi soldier - realistic character.
    I'd like to focus on the stylized character, since I have a bit more experience in that for the moment.

I like how comprehensive your breakdown is for "Muscle", that is definitely a great presentation pattern to follow.

With regards to critiques and improvement, personally I think you've done a great job, I don't see any obvious flaws with regards to your technique or edge flow, and most changes would be more aesthetic i.e stronger shadows, more vibrant colors and outline shading to better match it to the concept here,
    https://www.artstation.com/artwork/LwZw0
    Proportion wise is good, may be possible to accentuate the musculature so as to get crisper shadow definition.
    SSS might help make the skin pop more because of light absorption, but if you're following the concept strictly then you could even work with flats.

I noticed that you made this character for the beyond human challenge.

Another artist recently received honorable mention in this challenge for his version of this character (using the same concept)
    You can find his artwork here,
    https://www.artstation.com/artwork/G3k81

Which provides a good comparison, however understand that while there are lots of pointers that you can take from his version, there is no one interpretation of this concept and his is not going to always be the best.

What this means is that if it were me, I would personally consider his beauty presentation and stronger texturing. I do think the animation is a bit much (especially if you are trying for a character artist position) but his additional run posing brings out the personality of the character better.

It would be a good idea for you to contact this artist and take more specific input, seeing as both of you used the same concept.
    I also recommend contacting Leslie Van den Broeck for his input.

Can you get a job with this character as it currently stands?
    Its possible, depends on several factors and your career direction (getting work overseas, specific studios, visa restrictions, competition with local artists, luck etc)

For a character game artist position, it would be good to follow this guideline,
    http://wiki.polycount.com/wiki/PortfolioContents
    Again you can be flexible, I think in your case its more texturing your models than modeling.

I also noticed that you have some really good sculpts (supergirl and superman) These can lead to opportunities as a character sculptor in toy/miniature board game figure companies and VFX companies (like Blur animaiton, MPC) if that's an option.

The approach to those companies is you have a solid body of work (I think what you have provides a good example though you could always have more) and then send in applications or wait for openings. Again your location can be an issue, though some companies do offer relocation packages.

It is also possible that you could get some freelance gigs since very few have artists on site. Its really a hit or miss honestly for freelance gigs.
    Your location would make it challenging for you to get work on site in studios in the USA. A good portfolio may help to bypass that in some cases.

Would be good to know what you are aiming to be? 3D character artist for games, or 3D character sculptor for (every other application of sculpture)

I feel like you've demonstrated that you know the pipeline for both, so at this point its more about creating more work to distinuguish yourself from other artists and networking for work opportunities.
    I would also split and redesign your portfolio accordingly.

Let me know if you have any questions.

• pedrovarella13
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you very much for taking time to write all of that. I truly appreciate it.

As concerning the Muscle character, I chose to take it for a stylized (with some realistic textures) but not completly cartoon aproach Maybe it wasn't the best choice, but I think it was worth it. So it was a choice I made which I is accordingly to my taste as an artist. I personaly prefer to experiment and find out my own visual preferences on the characters (a kind of self discovery process) rather than aiming for a standard aesthetic so that I can get more visibility faster. I believe that my work will be much more sincere and great rewards will come if I take that mindset.

Still, I will definitely take your feedback into consideration for the upcoming characters, no question about that.

I am aiming for jobs as 3D Character Artist for games. That info should help you evaluating my situation. I am aware that landing on a fulltime oversea position is something that is years ahead of me right now. So I am trying get freelance jobs out of my current portfolio pieces and working really hard to build a high-standard portfolio to one day get a job on site at US, Canada or in some big studio out of Brazil.

I don't really have a specific studio as a goal. I am taking a path in which I focus more on finding out the styles I enjoy working with before choosing a studio that I predict would be nice to work at. Something similar to what I mentioned before. Maybe you have got something to say about that.

So do you think I should start sending applications and applying for job opotunities as 3D Character Artist?

Do you think my portfolio, as it is now, is good enough to get jobs (on site or freelance) as 3D Character Artist or I ought to focus on improving more before sending applications?

How would you redesign my portfolio?

Again, thanks a lot for your time :)

• NikhilR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NikhilR polycounter
    Always happy to help!

I personally like you're Muscle Character the way you made it. I think adding some outline shading would help bring it closer to the concept.
    Also look into the render settings of Marmoset for filters and render presets that will definitely enhance the presentation and make the colors more vibrant.
    (You could add those presets to the sci fi soldier as well + more dynamic posing and marmoset viewer file)

I think with the other guy, the selling point for his Muscle varient was definitely his 2nd running pose that had way more personality than what was presented in the concept.
    And of course the animation (Def overkill but useful)

Your approach to character art is similar to mine :) It will definitely help you to develop more as an artist with the ability to consistently deliver on projects.

As far as portfolio presentation goes, similar to Leslie Van Den Broak's presentation, for my character art portfolio, the way I plan to present it is by having the following folders
    1. Game Character Art
    2. Character Sculpture
    3. Personal WIP/Misc Art

Depending on the subject matter I might add more folder groups to these folders
    Down the line I will also have a folder based on a project/commission I've worked on
    And a nice cover art (I like what you have, your super girl sculpt is excellent!)
    Perhaps you could also use this approach?

While it does help to tailor art to a specific studio when looking for work, it is more important to have an assortment of styles, while having more of the style you want to specialize in (and feel most passionate about)
    From the looks of it, your realistic character sculpts are strong, I look forward to seeing one of the busts made into a full character with demonstrates good knowledge of organic and hard surface art.

In this light turning your supergirl sculpt into a fully textured real time character would also be the best idea in my opinion (if possible)

Or perhaps consider combining a bust with a variant of your sci fi soldier? That might save time.

I'd say that after you've looked into organizing your portfolio and if you wish enhancing your renders/posing, go ahead and apply for game character art positions.
    When applying make sure to attach your artwork as "work samples".

Senior character art positions do have their requirements, but it doesn't hurt to apply and be clear in your cover letter about where you stand as an artist and what you plan to gain from the experience of working at a particular studio.
    Its possible that you may get an interview or a freelance commission.

Really depends on if you feel ready, I'd say that given that you are passionate, you will only get better with time.

Many "character artists" currently working in AAA studios simply assist more senior artists with parts of a character, for example accessories for clothing, base meshes, retopology.etc.
    In this manner they don't really take full responsibility of a complete character, however for all purposes they are character artists.

But for the purposes of portfolio its important to show that you know the pipeline. You've demonstrated this through your stylized character, you could add a game realistic character to demonstrate that side of character art (Supergirl!)

Should you make more character art? Always a good thing, but would it improve your chances at getting work? As long as they all hit a consistent level of quality.
    Making more art would definitely improve speed and precision though.

Also if you are looking for specific pipeline advise from industry experts you could consider live sessions and on demand tutorials from these sites.
    These courses aren't a guarantee that you will get a job or become a better artist. But they might help.
    https://www.uartsy.com/
    https://www.gameartinstitute.com/store

Mind you it is possible to get all this and more for free (polycount, zbrushcentral, youtube, cubebrush) if you ask the right questions,

Cheers!
    Nik

P.s Your superman sculpt is a really cool eyecatching piece!

• pedrovarella13
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I am finishing texturing a full-body realistic character (for games) which I've been working on for a couple of months now. I am pretty sure it is on a higher quality than any on my portfolio, including Muscle. It's the development of the WIP male bust (at the end of my artstation portfolio). So when I actually finish it I can post it here or send you to have a look.

I am not sure about spliting the portfolio into folders. That is because I usually try to reduce the amount of clicks necessary to reach the images. Maybe a good idea is to organize it as you sujested but with no folders. Put the game art first, the sculptures secondly and WIPs last.

So, I will probably start sending emails for jobs and applying for open oportunities after posting this one piece that I mentioned above. Then cross my fingers and start another even more challenging piece.

Thank you for helping me and I wish to hear from you soon.

Cheers!

Pedro

• NikhilR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NikhilR polycounter
    One thing I always do when I'm making applications, is I attach a pdf with my best pieces as work samples (beauty shot + any breakdowns as needed)
    This is in addition to providing a coverletter and a resume that has my portfolio link.

While I'm not sure if the recruiter will visit my portfolio, I am certain that they will see my work samples.
    Also with the online system of applications that many companies now use, linkedin usually fills in all the extra detail directly so that's a plus.

Look forward to seeing your latest piece!
    Cheers!
    Nik

• pedrovarella13
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey Nik! As I promissed, this is the character I told you about on our conversation.

https://www.artstation.com/artwork/nXrV1

I would love to know what you think. Cheers!
  • NikhilR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NikhilR polycounter
    That's a really excellent piece! Great work! Was all the clothing sculpted?
    I don't really have any specific critique, you could add a marmoset viewer for the whole character.
    As far as optimization is concerned, while there are places where you could optimize the count further (reduce a loop or two here and there) but I wouldn't really bother about it.
    I think with this piece your current portfolio should be sufficient for applications to even senior positions (meaning I'd apply to them anyway)
    Again great job and congratulations!

• pedrovarella13
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks a lot Nik. Not sure about the senior applications thing. But let's apply to them anyway. Thanks again.