Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Tribal Goblin

Hi everyone, this is my last work, it's a low-poly red tribal goblin, polycount is around 25k triangles, and it's completely rigged and animated.
Since I wanted to use it has a practice for unreal engine I've kept him simple, the clothes uses APEX cloth, and facial expressions are driven by stretchy bones, the body uses CAT for animation, plus some stretchy bones in some areas, like the belly and the chest.

It's my first full character in unreal, so any advice/critique is really appreciated, if you want you can see more images/video/3Dview on artstation:
https://www.artstation.com/artwork/kraQA

Replies

• dGreenberg
    Offline / Send Message
    dGreenberg polycounter
    Hey @Mario_Cerrito! I'm really liking his face and expression. I think one thing that might be taking away from the character is his texture work. The wood bracers on his arm and the stone axe are both looking a little more realistic, but the ropes, his skin, his cloth, and his hair all fall a bit flat. I think you could really let loose and try some different contrasting skin textures, and find some ways to add that extra oomph to the character. 

I'm not sure what programs you're using for your texture work, but I can't recommend Magdalena Dadela's stuff enough. I think her Goblin is a great example on skin and leather. If you're going for something more stylized or hand-painted, I would still recommend adding some contrast and color variation. 
  • Mario_Cerrito
    Hi @dGreenberg , thanks a lot for your comment, I actually used Magdalena Dadela's video as a reference, probably I still need a lot of practice on texturing, the problem with this model was that his skin is actually red, so it's hard to make everything under the skin pop, since it's the same color, btw I agree with what you said, it's my first low-poly character so I mostly used it to test things, for the rope I should have used a specific tileable texture probably, creating a single texture didn't give me enough resolution for detail so it looks really flat, for the cloth I really had some problem to make it realistic actually.
    I hope I'll do better next time, thanks a lot for your critiques, they will help me a lot. :smile: