Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

10mm Auto SMG

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
RickGreeve polycounter lvl 6
this is my first post on here don't know why I never posted my earlier projects but hey.
I started my first gun based on a concept, exciting stuff I know. 
I already made some progress so wanted to show off what I got so far and get some opinions on it 

here is the concept I based it off https://www.artstation.com/artwork/eZBkJ

Block out:

then I started detailing some parts for the high poly this is the progress so far (quickly rendered in marmoset):

Replies

• AirmanEpic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AirmanEpic polycounter lvl 6
    Damn, very cool! I have to say though, if I were to make a constructive criticism it would be to modify the little lip ahead of the foregrip. It looks a bit silly. Perhaps either fill it so that it's non-hollow or remove it entirely. If it were up to me. Can't wait to see where this goes as far as texturing!
  • RickGreeve
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here are the finished HP shots

Finnished the whole HP model and also have the LP ready.
    Started to texture the red dot because I wanted to start texturing.

Next is unwrapping the main gun :smile:

• RickGreeve
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Damn, very cool! I have to say though, if I were to make a constructive criticism it would be to modify the little lip ahead of the foregrip. It looks a bit silly. Perhaps either fill it so that it's non-hollow or remove it entirely. If it were up to me. Can't wait to see where this goes as far as texturing!
    can't make it non holow because of the suppressor, I will try to tweak it a bit but will prob stay the same, I don't want to really draft of the concept so removing it isn't an option. Thanks for the feedback :smile:

• Gazu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gazu polycounter lvl 11
    Materials look great!
  • RickGreeve
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gazu said:
    Materials look great!
    Thanks man love ur work, apreciate it :smile:
  • RickGreeve
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Whole thing is baked. Also did some more texture work on the attachments

Attachments:

Suppressor is closesed to being done. The rest still needs a lot more detail 
  • RickGreeve
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So I decided that how I was texturing was wrong. should've started with base materials on everything and work up from there. So I went back and did that this time and everything came out way better. 

here are some more wip renders (didn't do to much to the lighting yet)

Still wanna do some more tweaking to make everything look as good as possible in first person view.
    Thinking off putting holes in the geo off the mag so you can see the bullets inside (would be cool) Let me know what you guys think :smile:

• ZangZing
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZangZing polycounter lvl 4
    Hey man, great concept and great execution! Can you go a bit into detail about your texturing workflow? Is it Substance? How do you approach gun textures?
    They are mostly metal/aluminium/plastic so you need to work a lot on roughness and color variation, right? 
  • RickGreeve
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZangZing said:
    Hey man, great concept and great execution! Can you go a bit into detail about your texturing workflow? Is it Substance? How do you approach gun textures?
    They are mostly metal/aluminium/plastic so you need to work a lot on roughness and color variation, right? 
    thanks dude.
    It is substance, and photoshop for markings and stuff. As for my workflow I think there are better sources to get that info i'm still really trying to improve my texturing.

• RickGreeve
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Sunray
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sunray polycounter lvl 7
    Turned out really nice!