Do you salvage your projects?

keyframe
Online / Send Message
Larry keyframe
Hey guys, everytime I do a project I am like "hey, there are many things I can keep as assets from this project" but realistically when I look at the pieces in the end (if I ever finish the project) i'm always like "this is too specific to re-use" so I end up not keeping anything out of fear of making a library with stuff I will never use. I feel like every project is unique both in style and assets in the scene... But I know many experienced professionals re-use stuff alot and they save time. I am kind of confused..

Replies

  • Dethling
    Offline / Send Message
    Dethling polycounter lvl 6
    I normally re-use a quite some of my previous projects in the concept/blockout phase.
    They allow me to get up a scene/model quickly, to get a better feeling for it. (And why should I do a new barrel, if I already did a good one, I can use again?).
    Once the basic shapes/positions/textures are done, I alter or replace the re-used parts if needed (e.g. if they are not fitting to the current style or detail level).

    This way I can save a lot of time which I can then put into working on the new parts.
  • JordanN
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanN greentooth
    I made a thread about this although in my case, I re-used similar concepts rather than the actual model.  :D

    I still have every model I made saved on my computer, but because I've changed specs over the years, I haven't been able to reuse them without fixing the requirements. But I am getting there though and when I do, it's going to be a JordanN themed show everyday!
  • Mirzaba
    Offline / Send Message
    Mirzaba triangle
    You never know when you might need something you've used before. Just to be safe I keep all the assets.
  • sprunghunt
    Offline / Send Message
    sprunghunt polycounter lvl 12
    Not every project I make is linear. Sometimes I'll make an asset and then decide that it needs an environment to surround it. 

    I definitely re-use parts of assets - kitbashing bits and so on. 
  • Autocon
    Offline / Send Message
    Autocon polycounter lvl 9
    I reuse work all the time! Massive time saver. Once you perfect a rubble pile or a patch of grass there is no reason to redo them over and over again. Things that are good candidates for reuse are extremely generic assets. The more unique and one off it is, the harder it is to reuse.
  • Larry
    Online / Send Message
    Larry keyframe
    Autocon said:
    I reuse work all the time! Massive time saver. Once you perfect a rubble pile or a patch of grass there is no reason to redo them over and over again. Things that are good candidates for reuse are extremely generic assets. The more unique and one off it is, the harder it is to reuse.
    Yea but if I make a grass patch once and then redo it another time, it will be better so everytime you remake something, you still have something to gain
  • Equanim
    Offline / Send Message
    Equanim polycounter lvl 6
    I've been re-using an ear and a set of teeth a lot lately.

    Photoshop brushes, ZBrush brushes, references, base textures, Substances (especially ones that have dynamic sources), screws, nuts, bolts, rope, cords, wheels, base meshes.

    Developing a workflow with the intent to re-use some things is one of the best practices you can have.
  • Justo
    Offline / Send Message
    Justo polycounter lvl 4
    Wherever there is an opportunity to automate, I'll take it. Making stuff again from scratch is a grunt mentality that'll prevent you from spending time in things that actually matter. Like it's been said here, at the very least I use pieces during concept stages, so as to get a quick detailed preview. 
  • Autocon
    Offline / Send Message
    Autocon polycounter lvl 9
    Larry said:
    Autocon said:
    I reuse work all the time! Massive time saver. Once you perfect a rubble pile or a patch of grass there is no reason to redo them over and over again. Things that are good candidates for reuse are extremely generic assets. The more unique and one off it is, the harder it is to reuse.
    Yea but if I make a grass patch once and then redo it another time, it will be better so everytime you remake something, you still have something to gain
    Depends on to what degree its better and the amount of time spent vs the amount of time you could put towards learning something else.

    When you are starting out each task you do will help you get better and better. Thats a given, but if you remake the same barrel or grass over and over again the skill gains you will make will be minor compared to if you make something new but use the same process.

    Example: You remake a patch of grass you already did that was quite good. (if your asset wasnt good in the first place then of course you should redo it) Your new grass is say 10% better. You are not gaining as much off that then if you say, kept the grass you already had and made some flowers which utilize a similar processes/time investment. You gain a new asset to your library and increase your skill as, although both utilize a similar processes, they are still different which in turn will increase your skill.


    You don't want to be the guy who can only make amazing grass assets because you just keep redoing them over and over again leaving you no time to work on new things. The more varied work you do the more it flexes those muscles which will lead to speed and quality improvements. Again only if you did a good job on the first asset, redo all bad work till its good :)
  • Larry
    Online / Send Message
    Larry keyframe
    Autocon said:
    Larry said:
    Autocon said:
    I reuse work all the time! Massive time saver. Once you perfect a rubble pile or a patch of grass there is no reason to redo them over and over again. Things that are good candidates for reuse are extremely generic assets. The more unique and one off it is, the harder it is to reuse.
    Yea but if I make a grass patch once and then redo it another time, it will be better so everytime you remake something, you still have something to gain
    Depends on to what degree its better and the amount of time spent vs the amount of time you could put towards learning something else.

    When you are starting out each task you do will help you get better and better. Thats a given, but if you remake the same barrel or grass over and over again the skill gains you will make will be minor compared to if you make something new but use the same process.

    Example: You remake a patch of grass you already did that was quite good. (if your asset wasnt good in the first place then of course you should redo it) Your new grass is say 10% better. You are not gaining as much off that then if you say, kept the grass you already had and made some flowers which utilize a similar processes/time investment. You gain a new asset to your library and increase your skill as, although both utilize a similar processes, they are still different which in turn will increase your skill.


    You don't want to be the guy who can only make amazing grass assets because you just keep redoing them over and over again leaving you no time to work on new things. The more varied work you do the more it flexes those muscles which will lead to speed and quality improvements. Again only if you did a good job on the first asset, redo all bad work till its good :)
    thank you! That was really helpful and made me clear up my mind on saving my assets :) I was unsure whether I should model them everytime until I reach a good level, but having these already and improving them if needed seems better!
  • sacboi
    Offline / Send Message
    sacboi polycounter lvl 2

    "Do you salvage your projects?"

    Yes!

    Their inherent value in terms of progression is part and parcel for my primary skillset as a hardsurface modeller. Wherein each project whether partially complete or finished iterates (levels up) competency, otherwise archived too be potentially re-purposed at a later date. I kind of have a tendency too hang onto stuff because you never know when something might come in handy.   

Sign In or Register to comment.