Home Technical Talk

Which Printer Is Best For 3D Printing?

Offline / Send Message
Pinned
Is there any specific printer which will be used for all types of purposes ?

Replies

• ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    What's your budget? All purposes is really vague, there's no such thing as an all purpose 3d printer, there's huge differences between what they are capable of, in terms of size, detail, material, etc. If you want a printer that will do a good job at everything, you'll probably end up needing 3 printers. 

First determine if you want to go for SLA or FDM, plenty of sites, blogs, and videos will do a better job of explaining the pros and cons of each method

In short SLA uses resins and lasers/light to print a model that will slowly emerge from a vat of resin. The quality is high, and resin can be cheap, but printers are expensive, smaller, and it can be messy (dealing with resin, curing, clean up).

FDM is your typical 3d printer. A print head moves around using a hot end to melt filament that gets pushed through and laid down. These are cheap, offer a lot of materials, open to upgrading, and can be large. The print quality is lower, and generally requires some finishing to get most models into a presentable state. Filaments and getting the correct settings to get the highest quality requires some testing or trial and error.
  • Larry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Larry interpolator
    You want the best ? Because a mediocre printer can cost about 6.000 euros
  • jaker3278
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jaker3278 polycounter lvl 8
    I have 2 printers an Ultimaker Original which is FDM and a Form Labs Form 2 which is SLA, I love the Form 2 it prints how i want, which is high detail and precise. The FDM has so many limitations that its currently unused. If you want to print models then go for SLA. The form 2 costs £3,500 and has a build area of 145mm by 145mm which is prenty. It can be used for all types of purposes and is a great machine. Look at the form 2 on youtube you will be amazed by the results. 
  • Elithenia
  • Android 3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Android 3D polycounter lvl 2
    On FDM you can go with Prusa 3D printer.