Home General Discussion

What features to add to our Rpg Game?

michiKing
null
Hi Fellas im a visual effects Student who has just finished his course. I have decided to make a game with some of the other Students from my class and was wondering if i could get your opinion on some things. We are making this for our portfolio so we will try to make this good.
What  kind of extra things are people looking for in rpg games(extra classes, certain races, gameplay so on),

There are already a few things that are certain so far it will be a rpg, medevil  Fantasy, But only so customize-able  on the start characters. 
it will be open world so u can travel were ever(Not much off the actual Terran is built).

Please add anything we should add

Replies

• sacboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sacboi high dynamic range
    ....well for starters, apart from outputting kick ass assets for portfolio inclusion I'd also suggest prototyping annovative gameplay mechanics, in other words try too stamp a unique signature upon your game that'll standout from the crowd.

Actually come to think of it, there's an active thread on this board descussing re-hashed implementations on the topic which maybe an advantagous read as too where some people's thoughts lie on the subject. Anyway spend some time on this facet of game design first before anything else you might have listed, because getting this right separates the good from the ho-hum also ran's the saturated market for this genre regularly regurgitates...I find.
  • michiKing
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    michiKing null
    thank you very much i will have a look at that thread
  • Bletzkarn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bletzkarn polycounter lvl 6
    I've always wanted to see a physics based RPG. In the all the spells etc are a skillshot of some type. Basically the opposite of runescape.
  • method72
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    method72 polycounter lvl 5
    In my last game, I had a sacrificial pit.
    Since RPGs involve a lot of exp grinding, and you also end up with a lotta useless look items you just sell to a vendor for cash, i created the pit.  You can inspect an item, and it will have both a sell value for gold as normal, but also an experience value, so you can sacrifice the item to the pit and gain experience.   Gave the player a way to catch up on gold (selling it) or exp (sacrificing it)

I am sure similar ideas have been used in the past, but it's not a common option that I have come across in most RPGs, and since it was simple enough to implement, decided to give the player one more option when they go back to town with their bags full from adventuring.
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    if youre making this for your portfolio I would personally suggest you all focus on quality rather than quantity. Even just a small portion of an open world that is super good would be waaay better than a whole open world with generic looking assets in it and nothing much to do. Also try do some interesting abilities eg dishonoreds blink teleport or hitmans ability to change outfit and avoid suspicion.