Home Unreal Engine

Real world units to UE4 units.

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
Bletzkarn polycounter lvl 6
I am aware that 1 unreal unit = 1cm but I'm sure many people have found that scenes simply look too small!

Well after testing I think I think I've found a reasonable scale range, using doors. 

If one was to add a standard door to UE4 you will immediately notice it feels TINY. Extremely cramped as if the player can barely squeeze through it. So using this article;

http://www.worldofleveldesign.com/categories/ue4/ue4-guide-to-scale-dimensions.php

I found that it feels like a very comfortable size. So comparing that door size to a common door size you get 2 ratios.

xy ratio ~ 1.555 to 1.571
z ratio ~ 1 to 1.095

These ratios seem absolutely ridiculous, but so far they're actually working extremely well in engine. In fact many sources will claim a 300 - 400 unit height for walls feels comfortable, despite a common wall rarely going above 250cm.

I'm finding that a 1.5 xy ratio with a 1.2 z ratio is turning my very cramped scene into quite a comfortable one.

Replies

• Bletzkarn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Never mind. the z feels good but the XY is too much. Interestingly though, all the hallways look better in the larger one, but the large open spaces look worse. I'm sure the feeling of claustrophobia can be fixed with changing the FOV to be honest.

However I'm trying to imagine the scene with beds, tables chairs etc. In that case I feel that the 1:1 scale is way too small. I don't think there is a simple ratio or formulae to fix these issues, I think it is very much what feels right. for example the bottom image. The width is actually a good size, but the length is far too much. Just have to work it by eye.

changing the FOV from the default 90 to 100 helped a little, anymore than that and distortion is too great. Overall I think the scene needs to range from 1 - 1.5 times larger to look right.
  • Obscura
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Obscura grand marshal polycounter
    You can change the player size. Open up the player blueprint, select the capsule component, and change its half height and radius. You can also adjust the camera height relative to the capsule.
  • Bletzkarn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Obscura said:
    You can change the player size. Open up the player blueprint, select the capsule component, and change its half height and radius. You can also adjust the camera height relative to the capsule.
    your timing is impeccable. I've just been testing this out and it seems to fix the issues of everything being too large. That's such a relief. I think it's looking smaller as well because there is no reference for the eye. Looking at other viz projects the dimensions seem the same but the small props make the space feel larger.

Maybe if I had some VR goggles I could test it better. For now I'll stick to real world units and trust my gut.
  • EliasWick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EliasWick polycounter lvl 9
    Bletzkarn said:
    Obscura said:
    your timing is impeccable. I've just been testing this out and it seems to fix the issues of everything being too large. That's such a relief. I think it's looking smaller as well because there is no reference for the eye. Looking at other viz projects the dimensions seem the same but the small props make the space feel larger.

I Personally love it when I have more information to go on... So to add on to your thread: I have experienced the same thing. By changing the character height or camera angle you will solve most of the "problem".
  • Bletzkarn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    okay I figured it out. Drag in an ARCH VIS CHARACTER then set it as your pawn for the firstpersonshooter gamemode. Change camera height to 54 units and change capsule radius to 10 units. Basically it makes the play a 5 foot character about the width of bowl, but it makes the scene look bigger without altering real world scale. hurray.