Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[FINISHED] Sci-Fi Storage Container

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
aclund3 polycounter lvl 6

Hi everyone!  Time for me to put up another personal project for critical critique.  I had quite a bit of fun designing this Sci-Fi storage container and then using it to experiment and learn more about Substance Painter.  My concept was for a robust modular storage crate that could be packed tightly for transport, and was robust enough to protect whatever kind of highly volatile cargo was stored inside. As for the materials/texturing I went kind of military with a functionally worn approach, as if the container had seen repeated usage, but was still serviceable.

Thanks for looking and please leave some kind of critical comment or thought if anything comes to mind.  I super appreciate the feedback I've gotten from the community on other projects :)

Modeled in 3ds Max, baked and textured in Substance Painter.  Here's a link to the asset in SketchFab if you'd like to fly around.

Replies

• aclund3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here's an attempt at reskinning a mesh in Substance Painter to see what kind of variation I could get within just the one program. Turned out pretty interesting as more of a science lab kind of thing...  Any and all feedback is quite welcome :)

Sketchfab link.

• Zee_DeCoY
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zee_DeCoY polycounter lvl 6
    Looks really nice, love the differences the textures are bringing out. 

I would say add more black lines in the science version; you could even specify if it is a biological container with medical labels - that would look cool. Im thinking of Portal 2 companion cube angle here :D

For the military version the display looks a little flat, don't know exactly what is causing it (but the digital screen works really well in the second one!). You might want to try to add a bit of height variation within substance painter to get that look... you could even try parallax occlusion if used in a game engine (not sure if substance supports it currently though... probably not).

Anyways keep it up, looking forward to seeing how it turns out!
  • aclund3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks @Zee_DeCoY!  I'm liking your ideas, I'll try to incorporate them in the next pass.

Not sure why the military version display is kinda flat (and I totally agree with you) but I've tried a bunch of different little things, so may be time to get a little more drastic... I'm thinking maybe some height details and inverting the colors and maybe even making the lines have something in the emissive map.  I'm not sure, yet.  Gotta play with it some more.  I haven't seen any parallax occlusion stuff in SP, but I don't know the software top to bottom just yet.  I do have a second glass material over the gauge but it isn't working quite that well in sketchfab... looks better in Substance Painter, I swear ;)
  • aclund3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Created a few new renders in Marmoset for this little fella to finish it out.

Please check out the Artstation for more shots and info.

Huge thanks to the polycount community for help on this one!