Home Adobe Substance

Substance Metal/Rought to Mari Gloss/Spec

Mayalicious
polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
Mayalicious polycounter lvl 8
Hello guys. I am really in need of your help.

In our office majority of the asset artists are using Mari and they are following spec/gloss workflow. We also have the flexibility to finish our texture work in Substance but then import to Mari. Because we then publish our textures inside Mari with our custom pipeline tool which exports all channels in linear colorspace. So far so good. There is no problem in importing and exporting channels.

So i am a substance guy. I love using the software and i always use metal/rough workflow (it's 2017 come on). We are using vray renderer and one master shader for the entire asset (with the help of vrayBlendMtl) and here is the problem. Our lighting and rendering artists dont want to use IOR maps because of render times. And there is a custom exporter in substance painter which is Spec/Gloss from Metal/Rough. I tried that but i cant get my metals shine. If i use this profile my textures are completely looking off. They are not looking in the way they look with IOR.

So my question; what is the correct workflow to convert metalness (ior) to specular? What can i do ?

Thank you very much!

Replies

• poopipe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter
    In all likelihood it's the way mari interprets the images at import that's the issue. 

Can you describe the issue in terms of what happens to the colours and also show us your export settings?