Home Unreal Engine

Metal surface looks bad in ue4?

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
Sunray polycounter lvl 7
This is my first time working with ue4 and my metal surfaces look terrible compared to sp and marmoset how it is supposed to look. Marmoset and ue4 are both only using 3 spotlights in the same place to get similar lighting.

Replies

• Zack Maxwell
    Offline / Send Message
    Zack Maxwell interpolator
    Unfortunately, I don't think it's possible to make UE4 match the other shaders by any reasonable means.
    I think marmoset has a UE4 shader, but it's wildly inaccurate anyway.
    But to get it to look good inside UE4, I think you need to reduce the contrast in the roughness map. Bring everything closer to a middle range.
  • Obscura
    Offline / Send Message
    Obscura grand marshal polycounter
     Skylight should have "lower hemisphere is black" disabled. You can also put a latlong cubemap into it.  It doesn't make much sense to judge the shading before matching the lighting. Its also possible that your roughness map is in sRGB color space instead of linear. Looks like you have more glossy reflections in Unreal, which would point to this problem in my opinion.
  • igi
    Offline / Send Message
    igi polycounter lvl 12
    unchecking srgb of the roughness map sometimes helps me bring UE4 look similar to Substance viewport.

There's an Advanced Lighting map that comes with Started Content in UE4. Worth a try.
  • Sunray
    Offline / Send Message
    Sunray polycounter lvl 7
    @Obscura thanks once again! I had srgb enabled totally forgot about that haha. It's working like expected now.
  • radiancef0rge
    Offline / Send Message
    radiancef0rge ngon master
    Grimwolf said:
    Unfortunately, I don't think it's possible to make UE4 match the other shaders by any reasonable means.
    I think marmoset has a UE4 shader, but it's wildly inaccurate anyway.
    But to get it to look good inside UE4, I think you need to reduce the contrast in the roughness map. Bring everything closer to a middle range.
    What??