Home Adobe Substance

SP - masked fill layer work for anchor point?

polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
SeveredScion polycounter lvl 12
Is it possible to use a masked fill layer as an anchor point for use as a detail map in a generator?

I don't see this referenced in the documentation. The tutorial videos show paint layers but never explicitly state that you can't use a fill layer.

It seems if I create the anchor point from the fill layer, the generator's read the value of the fill layer without the mask. If I create the anchor point from the mask, the generators read only the alpha of the mask but not the contents of the fill layer.

I've several ways to no avail. Substance Painter won't allow adding an anchor point to a group, so grouping the fill layer doesn't work. I created a new paint layer set to pass through (and tried various other blending modes) above the fill layer, still nothing.

Any suggestions? Thank you!

Replies

• SeveredScion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I figured out the answer to my own question - I forgot to set the *height* and *normal* channels to "pass through" when I created another layer above the masked fill layer I wanted to use in an anchor point. I can stack detail in as many layers as I want as long as they're below the layer that has the anchor point and has the height and normal channels set to pass through. The technique is shown in this video that was just released today:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LCud1p6lnCI&utm=
  • throttlekitty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That sounds like something I would do for sure, thanks for sharing the answer for the inevitable time that I do!
  • SeveredScion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Heh yep I try to follow through! Whether it's someone else's question or my own.
  • Reoxur
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Reoxur polycounter lvl 3
    I figured out the answer to my own question - I forgot to set the *height* and *normal* channels to "pass through" when I created another layer above the masked fill layer I wanted to use in an anchor point. I can stack detail in as many layers as I want as long as they're below the layer that has the anchor point and has the height and normal channels set to pass through. The technique is shown in this video that was just released today

Lorde I missed that  "Setting Normal and height to passthrough" too 
    I assumed setting the basecolor to Passthrough = Profit but it didn't 

So thanks for helping me realise my mistake lol