Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Likeness Sculpt tips and tricks?

polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
Vontadeh polycounter lvl 4
So, I've already sculpted a few stylized characters and I want to move on to realistic and Likeness Sculpting. I've been watching Game of Thrones recently and I've figured out I wanted to sculpt Arya Stark. I've already watched Frank Tzeng's tutorials and a few youtube tips and tricks but I'm finding it very difficult to approach.

I've already gathered a few references and started sculpting from a base in low poly, but it looks nothing like her. 
Any idea on how to continue in the right path?
Thank you in advance!

Replies

• Elithenia
    Offline / Send Message
    Elithenia polycounter
    Make sure that your references are kinda similar in age, as you have a lot of variation in the face during all the seasons of GoT
  • carvuliero
    Offline / Send Message
    carvuliero hero character
    First find side view image- very important for head sculpt 
    Second you have to capture her head shape first(looks like she have heart shaped face )  after that can add basic features (like in the image) at this stage you have to have likeness if not repeat till you have , there is no point to go further if you don't have likeness at this point 
    Also accurate placement and shape  of face features is very important 
    All of your reference have some sort of distortion, look for better one (around 100mm is what you need or shot in which camera is far from her face ) the one you have can be use for details on face feature

• Vontadeh
    Offline / Send Message
    Elithenia said:
    Make sure that your references are kinda similar in age, as you have a lot of variation in the face during all the seasons of GoT
    First find side view image- very important for head sculpt 
    Second you have to capture her head shape first(looks like she have heart shaped face )  after that can add basic features (like in the image) at this stage you have to have likeness if not repeat till you have , there is no point to go further if you don't have likeness at this point 
    Also accurate placement and shape  of face features is very important 
    All of your reference have some sort of distortion, look for better one (around 100mm is what you need or shot in which camera is far from her face ) the one you have can be use for details on face feature

Thank you both! I'm going to start working on this :) Thank you both, really
  • Elithenia
    Offline / Send Message
    Elithenia polycounter
    Keep us updated :) 
  • Vontadeh
    Offline / Send Message
    So! I've finally got some free time and I rewatched a few episodes from the 1st season from GoT, gathering my own references. I think even with fewer but more accurate angles and quality I can get away with this. What do you think? I got one front and side, already equally-sized, and two 3/4 angles. Tomorrow I'll probably start Sculpting again!
  • carvuliero
    Offline / Send Message
    carvuliero hero character
    Be aware of front view image as is shot from above and if you use it as is , her jaw/mouth/chin will end up smaller then what really is 
    My suggestion is to use side view to calibrate other images and take measurements from
  • Vontadeh
    Offline / Send Message
    Be aware of front view image as is shot from above and if you use it as is , her jaw/mouth/chin will end up smaller then what really is 
    My suggestion is to use side view to calibrate other images and take measurements from
    In fact I already distorted it to match a bit. I used perspective from photoshop to widen the bottom edge and to match the eyes, nose, lips and chin :) 
  • Vontadeh
    Offline / Send Message
    I can't sleep so I've started modelling. IDK, any tips, I'm on the right path? I can definitely see her lips in the model but not quite the nose. I should probably make the eye surroundings and the ears and neck before sculpting more so I can Dynamesh it together and so I don't have to repeat al the detailing part.
  • Vontadeh
    Offline / Send Message
    Some more Improvements on the nose-mouth-cheeks area...
  • Vontadeh
    Offline / Send Message
    Block out of the Neck, Ears and Shoulders.. I need more help to know if I'm in the right path..
  • Veezen
    Offline / Send Message
    Veezen polycounter lvl 9
    You should remember one thing, don't go into details until you will be happy from what you see. Base proportions are crucial.
  • Vontadeh
    Offline / Send Message
    Veezen said:
    You should remember one thing, don't go into details until you will be happy from what you see. Base proportions are crucial.
    I know, I tend to do that quite a lot, not only on my sculpts but in my drawings too. Should i go back a few subdivision levels and make sure i like everything?