Home Technical Talk

High-Quality 3D Rendering Software Discussion

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
aclund3 polycounter lvl 6
Hi all!

I figure this discussion has probably been had before, but I'm curious as to everyone's opinion about the best 3d renderer for game asset portfolio type stuff.  I've experimented with Iray in Substance Painter, the UE4 Gallery by Aaron Kaminer, and used Sketchfab's online tools.  I don't like that I can't add my own lights in Iray, the UE4 Gallery doesn't seem fully functional, and Sketchfab is decent, but it doesn't quite get me to the hi-res beauty shots I'd like (I may be wrong/have overlooked something with any of these statements).

So... what's your preferred renderer for beauty shots? Marmoset is quite popular, but the pricetag is a bit steep for me at the moment, and I'm hoping there's another high quality alternative.

Replies

• JordanN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanN interpolator
    I think this is why demo reels are still popular. You can store any amount of high quality renders in a 30-60 second clip, and it can run on most devices without compromise on content.

Even if you have the most decked out 3D viewer, you're still limited to whatever specs the host persons' machine is running on and then they have to take the time to load all that asset data when they might just look at a jpeg of it instead. Should note, I'm not trying to dissuade anyone from abandoning it, just giving my opinion on the optimal middle ground.

• jaker3278
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jaker3278 polycounter lvl 8
    Save up for marmoset toolbag it is one of the best real time renderer's and has become well known and used all over websites like art station.  
  • aclund3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @JordanN  I hadn't really considered demo reels, but they do seem like a good solution for some things.

@jaker3278  This is kind of what I have been leaning towards (saving and purchasing Marmoset), but I was hoping there might be some awesome alternative on the market that I just wasn't aware of yet. Thanks for your thoughts!
  • throttlekitty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If you want to go free, use the Cycles renderer in Blender. But for fast high quality + game engine style, go for Marmoset for sure.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Why not just use Unreal Engine? There's a default advanced lighting map that uses an HDRI image, pretty much what you'd get with Marmoset. 

https://docs.unrealengine.com/latest/INT/Engine/Content/Packs/
  • Joopson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joopson quad damage
    I'd personally advise against demo reels, and I think most would agree, by the way. They're clunky and heavy, and you can't get a good look at the work the way you can in a high-res render or online viewer.
  • JordanN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanN interpolator
    Joopson said:
    I'd personally advise against demo reels, and I think most would agree, by the way. They're clunky and heavy, and you can't get a good look at the work the way you can in a high-res render or online viewer.
    I'm not quite sure what you mean by this? Maybe if you upload a sub-HD video, then it's hard to see anything. But that hasn't been a trend in a decade now. A 4K demo reel with close ups, turn arounds, breakdowns isn't going to be different from a 3D viewer outside of being scripted.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Props and static environments generally look horrible in videos. There's a big difference between scenes that can and cannot hold up to a fly through, and good camera work is a completely different skill set to game art. 
  • danr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danr interpolator
    Back when I was going over 2 dozen portfolios a day, I would have killed for 3D viewers to be as prevalent as they are today. For someone to claim that showreels are equal or even preferable is just weird. 
  • JordanN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanN interpolator
    Demo reels have been in use for several years, so it's my confusion about when did props/environments start looking bad in them?

All in all though, I find the content of art I'm looking at to be more important than the delivery method of it.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Demo reels always suck. Unless you're an animator or an effects artist. Everyone else should show just images, and include a 3D viewer as an option.
    http://wiki.polycount.com/wiki/Portfolio
  • aclund3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for all the comments, everyone!  I've heard discussion saying similar things about demo reels; that reviewers don't like them because it takes too much time to review, video editing/camera work is its own skill, etc.  I'm sure demo reels have their uses...

To circle back more to the initial topic, does anyone have any more advice on 3D rendering options. At the moment I think I'm just going to have to save a bit and get Marmoset, but I'd love to hear about a viable alternative.
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    The Unity Adam demo assets come with example scenes and models that are on par with any other PBR solution out there.

• Jaston3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jaston3D polycounter lvl 8
    Yeah, unfortunately that advanced lighting map that Epic offers in the starter content isn't image based lighting(pretty sure at least). Which would already knock it below any real time renderer with IBL at least when looking at quality to amount of setup work. Like most people are saying, just save up for marmoset, they have sales every once and a while. Its going to offer you the best quality and speed.

On the derailed subject of demo reels though, they really cant compete when it comes to really looking at a piece. the artifacting that will be in a frame if you pause in a demo reel definitely wont look good compared to a still. I think its okay to post a little cinematic video of your environment but only after you've included stills... That's it, No putting a bunch of separate pieces in one video. NO. Stop. Don't.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    The advanced lighting map does use image based lighting. The interface for UE4 is a bit more complex than Marmoset, but it's not much slower if you know what you are doing. 
  • aclund3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    As I do more research on this, I find that crazy awesome hard surface modelers like Alex Senechal and Vitaly Bulgarov seem to be using Keyshot for their presentation renders.  So, yeah... anyone have insight into Keyshot v. Marmoset?
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well ... why would you even consider Keyshot if Toolbag3 is already not within your budget range ?

And regardless, these artists are not defined by the tool they use to render their work, they could make fantastic images with anything. You've been given a lot of options already (including three completely free ones), so now is the time to just get to work !
  • aclund3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Haha, that's fair.  I neglected to look at the price of the software for Keyshot.  Also a great point, the software does not make the artist :)

Aaaaand, I'm definitely 'getting to work.'  I've recently altered my habit for browsing social media when on breaks to browsing polycount, sorry If I'm posting too much. I do so very much appreciate the insight, knowledge, and experience wrapped up in this community!
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Understood :)

(I totally get that the various options can be quite confusing btw - and picking one or another can be quite overwhelming. For props/standalone models your absolute best option is still to get a Toolbag3 license as soon as you can. It's a fantastic tool, and the ability to work in full realtime at all times is a huge benefit. Until then I would say that Unity + the Adam assets demo scene is a great choice, because it too is realtime and it is much faster to operate than the cluttered and slow UE4.)