Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[WIP] Ryuk's Death Note

vertex
Offline / Send Message
MarkGomez vertex
Hello everyone.

Just started a new piece. Nothing too fancy but something I got the sudden urge to do. The object is the Death Note that Ryuk carries around and that is attached to hit belt. This one seemed pretty ideal considering it was more than just a notebook since it contains more detail.

I've been doing PBR work and as such, my goal is to take this 2D object, and give it a PBR touch. I've found some references of real notebooks for shape and feel, and references from the anime to try and get the details down. Again, nothing fancy but here's a quick screenshot. 

Replies

• MarkGomez
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MarkGomez vertex
    Update!  # 2 .Finally. Been busy with work, but I've made some progress on this. I'll be detailing below changes or additions and my brief thoughts/explanations. This is done for myself mainly but helps in answering any questions that might be had.

Things I added were:

The beads along the edge of notebook binding. They're much smaller than they would appear in the anime, but of course there are plenty of things I'll be changing along the way, for my own touch, as well as keeping the object looking real.

The links/chain that Ryuk uses to keep the notebook attached to his belt. The oval bits have some engravings to make them appear as skulls (added in sculpting/bake). Also added the attachment between the binding and the links so they actually attach.

The oval bit on the cross itself is also a skull. I've put that in its place to later sculpt in Mudbox. Due to it's size and detail I'd like to add, I'll have to get a better low poly.

And of course, the apple. Not much to say on that end. 

Things I changed:

I remodeled the cross. In the anime it appears cylindrical in the anime, but I've made it more rectangular with smooth edges. I think it looks better this way and fits nicely on top of the notebook binding. 

I also remodeled the ends of the crosses. The geo looks much cleaner now.

Made the notebook binding much thicker. I definitely want this to stand out from the notebook and not appear to be some paper thin pieces covering it.

Things I'll be doing:

I'll add a pen. I'm pretty sure I want to add the one that Ryuk is holding at the end of the show. It has the same skull theme going around the pen itself. 

Working on creating some ideas for engravings on the cross and other parts around the notebook. 

Taking the parts that need to be sculpted into Mudbox.

Questions/critiques are always welcome.

• Alemja
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alemja hero character
    I think your cross still isn't quite right:
    Related image

Unfortunately since it's only shown a couple of times this is the best front view, the cross is almost as thick as the straps with the end designs also being larger.
    You can kind of see it from this angle too:
    httpsvignettewikianocookienetdeathnoteimages33eRyuk27s_Death_Notepngrevisionlatestscale-to-width-down310cb20150201070647

I do think it's an interesting thing to model, I can't wait to see more progress!

• MarkGomez
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MarkGomez vertex
    Alemja said:
    I think your cross still isn't quite right:

Unfortunately since it's only shown a couple of times this is the best front view, the cross is almost as thick as the straps with the end designs also being larger.

I do think it's an interesting thing to model, I can't wait to see more progress!

Thaank you so much for those. :)  I had looked at the anime itself but I never saw a good shot, let alone up close, of his Death Note. Should have checked out more on the manga end. Even throughout the anime some parts change since they're quick.

I'll definitely be making the change since the cross on that first image looks very interesting. I originally wanted to do some custom engravings to make the cross pop so that shape should help. Still planning on some engravings. Thanks!

• MarkGomez
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MarkGomez vertex
    Small update here:

Per better reference, I changed the cross. The reference provided was much better than the one I had seen in the anime (I missed the better shot). The other shots, because they don't focus on the Ryuk's Death Note, were more similar to my first one but obviously weren't as interesting.

I created some indents at the pieces at the ends of the cross as I still plan to add some engravings for my own touch. Next will be taking this to Muxbox for the skulls, engravings, and that weird pen of his. Happy modelling for all!