Home Technical Talk

"Harbingers" - the Blizzard cinematic and their tools of the trade?

greentooth
Offline / Send Message
MBauer17 greentooth
https://youtu.be/mUfOIvlC6Eo

Clearly the art team took what seems to be layers and transition them in a way that weaves a story. I'm curious to know the programs that may have been utilized in the making of their more recent legion teaser cinematics. Photoshop is obviously one of them but would anyone have any insight into what editing programs they may have used? I'm eager to learn what they've done so I can try it out myself.

Thank you in advance!!

Replies

• oglu
    Offline / Send Message
    oglu polycount lvl 666
    could be any comping tool.... AfterEffects or Nuke...

maybe some Spine...
  • MBauer17
    Offline / Send Message
    MBauer17 greentooth
    Awesome that's all I need! I'm interested in learning more about popular editing tools for a personal project. I see that nuke is free. I'll give that a shot. Thank you again!
  • thomasp
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    blackmagic fusion would be another one to look at. or autodesk flame if that happens to come with a free version now (last i looked they were on a drive to 'democratize' it after all). the latter has some decent editing functionality but their real compositing/editing hybrid solution is called smoke.

anyway, you'll mainly need a compositor with a 3D comping workspace to achieve those effect from the video linked above. the one i mentioned will all tick that box as does nuke.

but: editing in nuke - is that even doable beyond the most rudimentary functionality? long time since i looked at it.
    a free editing software is blackmagic's resolve.

• oglu
    Offline / Send Message
    oglu polycount lvl 666
    yes you can edit in nuke studio... but i think you get only the small version for free...

• MBauer17
    Offline / Send Message
    MBauer17 greentooth
    @thomasp

just a cursory glance at their website shows that they have a trial version available, though im not quite sure what "trial" entails. I don't know much about video editing, and I'm using the Harbingers trailer as a possible reference tool for my own personal project. I *think* Nuke has what I want to achieve, like what @oglu referred to as. I mean, it seems like the video is comprised of still images, simple objects combined with simple transitional effects. 

I think it's simple at least? :sweat:
  • oglu
    Offline / Send Message
    oglu polycount lvl 666
    have you looked at spine..?
    its not only about moving 2D images... you need to rig them linke 3D chars...
    https://youtu.be/twUz99ek5do?t=94
  • thomasp
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    there you go - i didn't know about nuke studios' existence at all. long time since i had an interesting in compositing. if there's only a trial for the autodesk products then that's a least progress ;) but most likely means they're still costing $$$$($).

anyway, unfortunately none of these apps are simple nor newbie friendly. they are in their own little world and in fact i do recall nuke as particularly technical and pipeline-oriented among them, making me go back to an older, simpler laid out app that however would be of no use for your application.

i would investigate spine, this looks good for what would otherwise be a pretty cumbersome part in a compositing app - unless you'd want to do that part in a 3D program you're already familiar with. one thing about spine - according to their website, it sounds like all the interesting features are restricted to the pro version.
    i suppose you'd still need particles, effects and editing though. might as well try nuke then. and if that's not your cup, you could always check out fusion + resolve.

also, that blizzard video uses out of focus blur quite a bit. worth noting that fusion does not have a proper zDefocus node, you have to hack around that with a lesser technique. nuke's is pretty good though.

also, just for completeness sake - it will most likely have not been blizzard's tool of choice but you could do practically everything required in blender, including editing. https://danielpocock.com/quick-start-blender-video-editing

• MBauer17
    Offline / Send Message
    MBauer17 greentooth
    i completely forgot about blender (shows what I know). Thank you so much guys for letting me poke your brains. I'm really new to the industry and I really look forward to learning more about animation!