MaterialX: An Open Standard for NetworkBased CG Object Looks

greentooth
Offline / Send Message
littleclaude greentooth
MaterialX: An Open Standard for NetworkBased CG Object Looks

MaterialX is an open standard for transfer of rich material and look-development content between applications and renderers. Originated at Lucasfilm in 2012, MaterialX has been used by Industrial Light & Magic in feature films such as Star Wars: The Force Awakens and Rogue One: A Star Wars Story, and by ILMxLAB in real-time experiences such as Trials On Tatooine.

MaterialX addresses the current lack of a common, open standard for representing the data values and relationships required to transfer the complete look of a computer graphics model from one application or rendering platform to another, including shading networks, patterns and texturing, complex nested materials and geometric assignments. To further encourage interchangeable CG look setups, MaterialX also defines a complete set of data creation and processing nodes with a precise mechanism for functional extensibility.

MaterialX is an Open Source project released under a modified Apache license.

Here is a Paper on the subject - http://www.materialx.org/assets/MaterialX Sig2017 BOF Slides.pdf

Replies

• littleclaude
    Offline / Send Message
    littleclaude greentooth
    Maya 2019 should have MaterialX in its release. This means UE4, Unity, Max, Maya, Nuke, Mari, Houdini, V-Ray, Arnold, Playstation, Windows, Mac, Zbrush etc will all have compatible shaders, if not they soon will be.

It looks different from Maya’s hypershade, maybe that's because hypershade is going to go and be replaced by lookdevx? or maybe it's because its still in development. Anyway interesting times ahead. :) 

• littleclaude
    Offline / Send Message
    littleclaude greentooth

There is also talk about using USD (Universal Scene Description) for 3D file formats in all packages. Which means all scenes in all packages will be saved in the same format, some companies are already using it.  

Animal Logic launches USDMAYA Plugin as Open Source

http://www.animallogic.com/News/Current-News/USDMAYA 
  • Axi5
    Online / Send Message
    Axi5 polycounter lvl 4
    Hi,

I've been following some of the development on this for a short while and it seems very exciting! Even if it was just for texture transport alone however being able to replicate BxDF's and more seems lucrative.

Any source on the Maya 2019 part? I didn't see it in the presentation you linked to, it seems to be shown working in 2018 there, so we might get it in an update over the next year.

Cheers for the links!
  • oglu
    Offline / Send Message
    oglu polycounter lvl 8
    Maya 2019 should have MaterialX in its release. This means UE4, Unity, Max, Maya, Nuke, Mari, Houdini, V-Ray, Arnold, Playstation, Windows, Mac, Zbrush etc will all have compatible shaders, if not they soon will be.

i fear noone will have support for matX beside maya and big studio pipelines...
    if you store a vray shader in matX only vray is able to render it... its not a shader its a way to manage all nodes for a shader... but the shader could be anything...
  • throttlekitty
    Offline / Send Message
    throttlekitty Polycount Sponsor

It looks different from Maya’s hypershade, maybe that's because hypershade is going to go and be replaced by lookdevx? or maybe it's because its still in development. Anyway interesting times ahead. :) 

OH DARN I AM SURE GONNA MISS THAT.

I haven't followed too closely, how would you say this compares to USD? I understand that USD is a broad general thing, but MaterialX sounds perhaps more lightweight and specialized? Cool stuff!
  • gandhics
    Offline / Send Message
    gandhics triangle
    Maybe.. I can bet this never would happen technically and politically.
  • littleclaude
    Offline / Send Message
    littleclaude greentooth
    gandhics said:
    I am just reading between the lines at the moment but it looks like lots of companies are looking to adopt the MaterialX pipeline and the USD file format, come back to this thread in tail end of 2019 and see whats happened.

Peace and 3D love to you all ;) 
  • Axi5
    Online / Send Message
    Axi5 polycounter lvl 4
    gandhics said:
    I am just reading between the lines at the moment but it looks like lots of companies are looking to adopt the MaterialX pipeline and the USD file format, come back to this thread in tail end of 2019 and see whats happened.

Peace and 3D love to you all ;) 
    I'll drink to this future!