Home Technical Talk

UV mapping in Maya 2018 with 3D cut and sew tool, free tutorial.

polycount sponsor
Offline / Send Message
malcolm polycount sponsor
Hey guys, I felt compelled to create a video tutorial explaining how great the new 3D cut and sew tool is in Maya 2018. Check out the video, this workflow has improved quality of life greatly.
EDIT, here is an updated video since the tool has changed a bit since I original made this post, this video is also shorter and has better audio and is more to the point.

Replies

• Sage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage polycounter lvl 19
    Thx for sharing. I was looking forward to you making the button as well.
  • FourtyNights
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FourtyNights polycounter
    About time Maya gets Blender-ish UV tools. And FYI, Roadkill's technology is straight from Blender, and they even state it in the program credits. Instead of laughing Maya being late from the party when Blender has had these kind of UV features for years... I'm genuinely interested how Maya approaches UV unwrapping now.
  • Sage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage polycounter lvl 19
    I got maya 2017 to do the same more or less. I made a cut uv seam button and a unfold and layout button. it doesn't work as pretty as in 2018.  I have to use Maya 2017 at school. blender and Modo have had this for years though...
  • malcolm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah cool, we got this one guy at work that is still using Roadkill, I think he can finally switch over now.
    The button code is in the description if it wasn't clear.
  • MaxHoek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MaxHoek polycounter lvl 8
    thanks a lot @malcolm , this tool is a great timesaver! 
    I was wondering if there is a way to use your tool in combination with nightshade? would be great to use both advantages without switching the uv editors
  • malcolm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Max, glad you're enjoying the tool. I'm not sure I haven't used night shade in so long, after Autodesk purchased it they integrated it into Maya so all the features are there by default, but the interface is slow and clunky. Which features are you still using from NightShade because I developed my own UV toolbox so I could still have the power of NightShade without the clunky Autodesk interface. Take a look here if you're interested this is how I do most of my UV mapping. It's broken out into three videos because I've updated the tool a couple times.