Home Digital Sketchbooks

Sketchbook: Fstain

polycounter lvl 2
Offline / Send Message
Fstain polycounter lvl 2
Hello everyone. :)

I used to be here early '10s but left for artschool and now I'm back slightly smarter. I used to post mostly 2d digital but since I've moved on to basically just drawing analogue with fineliners and stuff. I might just post some of that later on but anyway. I'm here on a 3d quest for now.

Critique and other such things are totally appreciated, let's have a discussion about the stuff I make!

OK so here's my latest little project, a sort of realtime 3d sketch:

For now just a straight up dump outta the viewport in Unreal. I'm still not sure what kind of post-processing I'll apply on it. this image has a cheeky bit of color balance and sharpness cuz I wanna see how the water gleam comes across.

It's sort of a timed project. I'm limiting it to 20 hours. I generally work on it 2-3 hours at a time since free time and all that.

I'm into about 16 hours so far. It's taken far too much time just polishing and twiddling stuf and even modeling some stuff that won't make the cut likely.

I have several of these ideas in the works so I'll keep making them and getting faster likely. That's the plan :)

More to come, of course.

Replies

• Yedp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yedp polycounter lvl 7
    And here I thought this was with post processing effect already  :D
    Is there a hole in that wall underwater? It seems it loses a bit of information details there, it seems a bit too blurry for me (although I know this is not crystal pure water), at first I thought it was an unfinished area, maybe my eyes are bad haha.

But this is really to be picky, to me it looks amazing and finished already!
  • Fstain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fstain polycounter lvl 2
    Yes, technically there are post processing things on it at the moment, for example the HDR bloom Unreal has enabled pretty much by default. :D But what I meant was, I don't know what I will use in the end. Extreme post processing CAN look really cool, especially for something like this. I might keep it low-key too.

There's indeed two holes, this additional sketch should reveal what the point was:

my very first idea was having a gnarly-looking moray eel poking its fat body out of the top hole. But it didn't turn out good. All the cool details on a eel would go lost at this distance, if I rendered it like 4k then maybye :P that's a bit overkill for this project.

I decided to ditch the tentacles too, though. since it's, i dunno. a little too much "cheap tattoo" look for me, even though I like squids n stuff.

Oh! and one more thing: most hightlights are faked (and the light caustics of course, they are Decals or vertex paint):

It's just a dot product against a worldspace axis that writes to basecolor, emissive and opacity. (also check out that creamy resolution on the rocks mmmm-mmmm)

And finally, Yedp: Your eyes are totally fine, the rocks are blurry. I considered baking more highresolution maps and make higher resolution photo-sourced textures but then, I decided "hey, it looks a little more blurry under water" and Unreal doesn't have a super simple way of blurring just the water without heavy amounts of shader mastery. So I opted to just put some finer details to hide the low-res, just like any good 3d artist would LOL (just kidding). :)
  • Fstain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fstain polycounter lvl 2

OK. Stopping here... maybe. At about 19 hours total. I wasted two hours at least on just random stuff that I decided to not save. :( I even forget what that was being some 2 days ago. I dunno, I'm not even feeling this piece that much anymore, the image in my head is starting to fade to be honest.
    But that's part of this project idea, I need to work on making decisions "quickly" and I've failed at least half a dozen such decisions in this project alone, the moray eel, the tentacles etc etc. :)

SO! I'll start sketching on my next piece, actual on paper tho. Might include those depending on how quickly I get into the 3d work.

Laters :)
  • Fstain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fstain polycounter lvl 2
    Gah! Well that took a weird turn. (life happens.)

Anyway. Here's a screendump of something I've been working on the past few months (a few hours per day + most weekends, on top of a full time job) :)

I have a good chance of actually getting this somewhat finished, too so I will start dumping individual models and stuff as I feel confident that they are locked down.
  • gametime
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gametime polycounter lvl 8
    damn fine work, mate. cant wait to see some gameplay vid. 

also a breakdown of ur diorama would be much appreciated ;)

• Fstain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fstain polycounter lvl 2
    First off, mega surprised that my post ended up on the front page. That made my evening a little warm n fuzzy.

Sup, gametime!

I have a partial one(about the diorama) up on art station (link in sig) but if that's not complete enough I can revisit some of the project files. I should still have them somewhere hehe :smile:

And yeah, totally. I'm already dropping some minor videos about this game but I have one major enemy to make, a bunch of the level (at least to get it designed to what works with the gameplay in mind) and some UI stuff.

And so, like I said in the previous post, I have some things to drop off here. It's some renders of two models that I made for this project so far.

I should point out before I go any further- I did not design the world/setting: It was concepted/designed by my brother (who's not on Polycount :( ) Bag (<- this is a link actually) as it's based on his sort of "world" that he's creating in parallel. He's freaking great at what he does, check him out. :)
    So similarly, the weapon and vehicle designs are not mine, I made the models and all of the things that that entails, naturally. Just felt I need to shout out to him.

Open bolt SMG, the one you can see in the screenshot.

And the second one is a tank train combo.

Yeah, you guessed it, this detailing does not show up a lot... *whistle*

That's it for right now. I'm going to start creating the enemy model pretty soon and I will make sure to actually document the progress on that here, so that you can share insight or feedback during.

Feedback on these two models or anything else are more than welcome!

Until next time :)
  • Fstain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fstain polycounter lvl 2
    Haha, I LIED.

No enemy right now, I just put this still sort of WIP-ish assault rifle through the render-process and might as well share those on here.

Low poly only then substance painter for texturing. And since I'm going through the process of scraping together renders anyway there's a character I haven't rendered out yet who's the standard "foot soldier" enemy in the game so I might do that. :)

Buh-bye.

• Fstain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fstain polycounter lvl 2
    'Sup.

This is the enemy-guy, it's not THE enemy I was talking about before, as that's a much bigger mecha/powersuit type of character which I will get started on eventually, you'll see if on here when it starts at least. :)

And here's two sketches(!!!) of the particle effects I want to achieve with the assault rifle, dunno why I bundled it with the soldier-guy, guess I liked how he was rockin that AR.

Pew pew!

I'm fairly certain some of these effects on display won't work in Unity, particularly the sparks burning off inside the ejected shell. I want it all to be very dirty and filthy so there's gunpowder flying off and burning mid air. We'll see. I might just substitute that with some similar effect. Let's also be honest, it all would probably not be that visible in game, unless we're playing in "slow mo" on a 4k display.

Cya!

• Sajeet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sajeet polycounter lvl 7
    Stunning work..  really like the caracter :)