Home Technical Talk

How to bake multiple hi poly meshes down to a single lo poly mesh?

I've been playing with photogammetry. It's real neat. I know how to build my own scans in auto desk remake and agisoft photoscan (though I much prefer remake). 

I want to combine all the landscapes I've scanned into one environment. 

I could bake down stuff to the lo poly version of each mesh seperate but with ssao, the seams between where one mesh ends and begins is significant and not pretty. 

I want to bake each of the hi poly stuff down to different sections of a single lo poly mesh that is a retopo and merge of all the hi poly stuff. Is this possible? I'm guessing it is, but I'm not clear on where to start? 

I use marmoset toolbag 3, zbrush, and blender. I prefer marmoset for my baking stuff. Blender is my second preferred program but it's baking stuff is buggy. Zbrush I just use for surface detail, final touches, quick and dirty remeshes, and uv master unwrap. 

Any advice? I'm also willing to try other programs too but I have a strong preference to stick with what I'm familiar with. 

Replies

• kanga
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kanga quad damage
    I  dont have any experience with photogammetry. But cant you import the sections into zbrush, merge them into one subtool, remesh and project the details on higher sub levels, use the sculpting tools to repair seams in ZB ( on the new tool) and then handle the repaired mesh like a character and just make a retopo low poly mesh in blender, using a decimated version of the ZB high poly for a template, and bake using Marmoset?
  • gnoop
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gnoop polycounter
    Not sure I understand the problem. You could bake multiple hi res meshes into one low poly shell everywhere.      If it's too much of  gb to load try XNormal . I once baked from almost billion of poly there.   Also you can split your low poly in parts if you make sure the vertex normals stay intact along the splits .  You could use  data transfer for this