Home Animation Showcase & Critiques

Need animation reel feedback please

polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
MIKENTNZ polycounter lvl 3
I recently graduated and now I am looking to get hired as a 3d animator. This is my demo reel and would appreciate feedback to sharpen my skills.

Replies

• Luk0
    Offline / Send Message
    Luk0 polycounter lvl 4
    Are you using IK for the walk and the run cycle, starting at 20 seconds? If you are, I would try to do another of each with FK arms, its much easier to get the nice swinging motions and arcs than trying to do it with IK.
  • Arturow
    Offline / Send Message
    Arturow polycounter
    Upload it to https://syncsketch.com/ for a better review :)

• AnthonyAnimation
    Offline / Send Message
    AnthonyAnimation greentooth
    Thanks for sharing!

The title card is too long. One second tops, viewers want to get to the action right away. Recruiters can pause for the info if they don't have it already or put a longer card at the end.

First shot- I don't think the camera move is necessary. You'll want to focus on weight and balance. Reference and acting out the action is a great help. I don't think he needs to walk backwards into an idle (personal choice). 

Second shot- The acting is a little strange. The pose that he holds after he is hit is held for too long. It's also a little awkward. Maybe have him face the camera more/open his body up a bit. He would want to protect his injured arm by holding it away from the direction he was just attacked. The point where he falls dead seems to happen quickly. You might want a more gradual death. Seeing him get more weak before he collapses.

Shots three/four- Walks and runs are tricky. Again I would recommend studying reference and uploading via Syncsketch, it allows a more detailed critique.

Shot five- He's moving a little slow. I know you want to show weight, but the impact isn't there. Try looking at Jurassic Park or King Kong for reference.

Shot six- The juggling is pretty good. The bicycle kick could use more room (have him jump higher) to allow for a greater motion. The roll over is a bit slow and perhaps unnecessary. 

Shot seven- This one is a little drawn out. It's okay to have an anticipation of the action, but get to the action quicker. The jump and headbutt is a little slow.

Shot eight- The car is moving pretty easily. Try looking at strong man competitions to see the amount of effort that is exerted.

Shot nine- You have some good acting choices, but everything is floaty and melding into each other. You'll want distinct beats for each emotion.

Shot ten- Pretty good! Again, some things are a little floaty and hitting on the same beats.

Overall I'd recommend cutting the reel to about 30-40 seconds. This will help you choose your best work and allow you to focus on fewer shots. You have a decent start. I'd highly recommend studying reference and acting it our yourself to get a feel for body mechanics and weight.
  • HeXiFy
    Offline / Send Message
    HeXiFy polycounter lvl 5
    If you upload it to syncsketch, you'd get better feedback. I would change the sequence of animations. Your BEST animation has to be the first one shown. You have a good foundation but need to keep working on the animations.
  • MIKENTNZ
    Offline / Send Message
    MIKENTNZ polycounter lvl 3
    Thanks for the feedback, and could someone tell me exactly how syncsketch works. i uploaded a walk cycle but i have no idea as to how to get feedback on it.
  • Hito
    Offline / Send Message
    Hito interpolator
    click the "Play" button on the right end, all your clips be listed in new playback window on the left side. select the clip you want to share in the left column, you get an URL that looks like "synchsketch.com/sketch/xxxxxx#xxxxxx"  share that URL and people will go directly to the clip and be able to leave comments and sketch overs.