Home Animation Showcase & Critiques

TheLittlePaint_ Animation Current WIPs CC Appreciated

Hi all! 
I'm very new to Polycount and trying it out for the first time. If I make any mistake while posting, please let me know. :)

A little about myself, I have some Animation background in college. However, I knew once I graduated that there was still a lot to learn. Professionally I am a Graphic Designer and even though I love Design, I have never given up on Animation. As a result I enrolled in Animschool and have been taking some of their classes to improve. Unfortunately, do to my payment arrangement with them there are times I do not take the classes and fall a bit behind due to other work commitments. I am determined to keep improving with my animation and not giving up. I've set myself a personal goal to have a Demo Reel ready by the end of November. 

Below is the link tot he Syncsketch of one of the shots I'm reworking to include in my reel. Please feel free to leave any feedback, it is truly appreciated. There are definitely a few things I can see right away that need fixing, but wondering if anyone else sees something I might be missing. 
https://syncsketch.com/sketch/176440/

Replies

• TheLittlePaint_
    Thank you everyone for taking the time to leave some comments thus far. So great! I will work further on it and keep this thread updated as I go along. :smiley:
  • AGoodFella
    Offline / Send Message
    AGoodFella polycounter lvl 5
    Cool shot. A few notes:

Knee pop from  f13-14. Happens throughout the shot. I would go frame by frame and fix the pops.

f97  - Body hits a wall. Ease in to this pose more.

f153 - Action throughout there could be snappier in terms of timing.

f183 - These little steps are a little confusing to me. It's a nice idea but the transition into the run feels off. You could get rid of the little steps and go into the run. AT f159, milk this more. hold it a little longer and have him drift forward and as he gets out of balance, he catches himself and goes in to the run.

f146 - Roll forward needs to be quicker.

f306 - Bounce and settle here feels wooden. Need to have more overlap between the chest and lower spine.

Looking good!
  • TheLittlePaint_
    Cool shot. A few notes:

Knee pop from  f13-14. Happens throughout the shot. I would go frame by frame and fix the pops.

f97  - Body hits a wall. Ease in to this pose more.

f153 - Action throughout there could be snappier in terms of timing.

f183 - These little steps are a little confusing to me. It's a nice idea but the transition into the run feels off. You could get rid of the little steps and go into the run. AT f159, milk this more. hold it a little longer and have him drift forward and as he gets out of balance, he catches himself and goes in to the run.

f146 - Roll forward needs to be quicker.

f306 - Bounce and settle here feels wooden. Need to have more overlap between the chest and lower spine.

Looking good!
    Thank you so much for the detailed feedback. Really appreciated! I have a quick question though. What if I want to keep those little steps as a stylistic cartoony take on it. Maybe it needs to be a little more exaggerated so that the deep down pose before he starts running makes more sense. I see why you say that it feels a little off. There seems to be no motivation behind him going that low and then start to run full speed. 

Also, I have a question for all. The arm that is parented to the chest has a bit of a twitch on it from frame 124-126 or so. Right now is parented to the chest but as he rotates the arm has that twitch/snap. It was suggested that I fix it with animation layers. Any thoughts on how to fix it without having to recreate the constraint on that IK hand? 
  • AGoodFella
    Offline / Send Message
    @TheLittlePaint_

If you want to keep the steps, that's fine. i would try making them a little quicker and then you can use f192 as the pose where she catches himself to keep himself from falling over. Geta nice squash and then he can sue this pose as an antic to go into the run.  
  • TheLittlePaint_
    Thought I would share the final animation. Thank you everyone for giving amazing feedback on this shot. https://vimeo.com/258461294
  • AGoodFella
    Offline / Send Message
    Very nice, turned out great!
  • TheLittlePaint_
    @AGoodFella Thank you so much. :smiley:

Currently working on a few game animations using this free rig. Will try to post as I go along.