Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Gravity Falls Penny Machine

Danface
polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
Danface polycounter lvl 7
Hey guys, 

I feel I've got this to a point where I can finally get some feedback on it. I feel as though apart from adding more finer details, that I'm 95~% finished with this. I hope you enjoy it and I look forward to seeing any feedback or critique. 

Replies

• Eirikra
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Eirikra polycounter lvl 4
    It's looking pretty good, I like the moss detail :)
    The only things that I think can improve are the coin rustiness, maybe lower the contrast a little bit and lower the normal intensity for the dark wood a bit as well, at least on the lower side panel, I think it might be dirt but it seems too sharp imo.
    Nice work!
  • Xelan101
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xelan101 polycounter lvl 10
    So I think you have the general form down, but you've omitted a lot of details that you're getting from the reference. And since the reference is so simple I feel like you should try to include all the details it can give you on top of the additional realistic detail. 

1. No legs at the base of your machine, it gives you more opportunities to echo the gold around the dispenser slot around the piece and makes the machine feel more fancy/old timey
    2. The cartoon seems to imply that most of these panels were built with individual planks of wood while yours looks like each side is made with a single sheet of plywood. The ins and outs of planks would give you more areas to imply detail and to sink moss into the cracks to imply age and wear.
    3. You're missing the carved design at the top of the machine on the forward face which helps add some interest to the very flat shape up at the top.

In general from a technical standpoint, especially with how realistic you're trying to go with the asset I think it could use a lot more geo overall. All your edges are razor sharp which barely happens in reality even with hard metals let along mossy wood. The sharp angles scream low budget game asset and could definitely do with some bevels/champhers/fillets on most if not all the edges.  In addition the framing beams in general could do with having their extruded edges pulled outwards slightly so that they don't always go straight back at a perfect 90 degree angle, this helps them catch light better and be visible from more angles which will help overall readability.

Texture wise, with how old you're implying this machine is I'd expect to see a lot more worn down paint on the panel behind the penny, you have that one big crack/flake but otherwise it's perfectly painted still, areas would have rubbed off more subtly down to bare wood in places and other areas may have chipped with some smaller shapes towards the edges or areas of distress, like if people hit the machine when it doesn't work right etc.

I know that's a lot to go off of, but I think the stuff above could help it go the extra mile and start looking like a game ready asset for this generation. Right now it feels like the textures want to be current/next gen and the model itself wants to be for the previous gen.