Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[WIP] Ancient Gate -UE4 Scene

Hey guys!
Intro

This is my first time posting here, been lurking around for a long time. Last week I stumbled upon this amazing piece of art by Cosmin Hrincu and thought it would be pretty cool to turn into a 3D environment, also it would be a nice piece to practice with more natural assets such as foliage, rocks and trees.

My goal with this is to create a game ready scene and move it into UE4 where I will finally present it as accurately as I can, but with my own little twists. My general workflow will be staring in 3DS Max to create the base meshes, moving into Zbrush to sculpt, and finally into Substance to texture. I'll be looking into SpeedTree and Megascans too as I am not too confident with the softwares so it would be great to practice.

I'll be posting my progress here every so often. I want to try get it done by the end of September but we will see how it goes. If you guys have got any recommendations I would love to hear them! Also would love to hear any cool techniques with tackling the ivy scaling up the walls!

Blockout

I started off with a really basic blockout in order to get some basic proportions. At this stage, nothing is final and its more for personal reference.

From here, I'll move on to defining some shapes and materials. My next step will be to set up a UE4 Scene and try achieve some basic lighting. Also I will start working on the ground material along with the master material to enable some nice blending. I will try make use of tessellation in order to achieve a more believable scene.